Author Topic: A/C Hose Strap  (Read 1571 times)

Offline BillEBobb

A/C Hose Strap
« on: August 09, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »
Anybody know of a superior product to NPD's for the A/C Hose Straps?  Theirs only last one show season before falling apart.

Weren't the originals made of leather?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
Re: A/C Hose Strap
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »
A trick I use for the ones on my 68 coupe was to make four straps out of a belting material, put velcro on the ends, and use them to support the weight of the hoses.  Pull the straps inward so they're not being stressed.  I can drive that way, and when I'm at a show, they pull off quickly.  At $25 a set, I've saved a few hundred dollars since doing this.   8)

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 11:43:56 PM »
Anybody know of a superior product to NPD's for the A/C Hose Straps?  Theirs only last one show season before falling apart.

Weren't the originals made of leather?

Thanks,

Bill
No ,they were made of rubber material very similar to the feel, texture and appearance of the ones you get from NPD.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:32:57 PM »
There are a couple of different straps made and used for those hoses - the one the other posters are referrign to and the metal strap ones that were dipped in rubber

Like the ones in the top right

Never seen nor found the rubber ones around the shock tower supports on a 69 San Jose Mustang
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:48:16 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BillEBobb

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 02:15:41 PM »
Jeff,

A photo of the straps to which I was referring is attached below.  I e-mailed Laurie for clarification of her procedure to make these rubber straps last.  She incorporates velcro straps to actually incur the "weight" of the hoses while then sliding the rubber straps into a more neutral position as not to inflict pressure onto those thin rubber straps.

While I haven't used the velcro strap technique, I do "buckle" the rubber straps as wide-open as they'll go and then I slide them into a neutral (non-weight bearing position).  Unfortunately, I still am required to replace them every show season.

Laurie, unlike you, after only one "trailer-queen" outing with her, I've decided upon a very novel idea -- she's being driven!  We made a couple of 200-mile in-state trips this season and thoroughly enjoyed driving her! (With the exception that drum brakes make you more attentive! LOL)

Obviously, it's the engine compartment heat and the dry New Mexico air that breaks these straps down.

Someone in the club wondered if soaking a new set in brake fluid might lengthen their life.  . . . . hmmm?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:31:13 PM »
Jeff,

A photo of the straps to which I was referring is attached below. .....

Thanks - never seen them used at San Jose

IF your driving the car the ones in the picture will surely fall off
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:41:29 PM »
Yes, driving will wear them out even faster.  I used my Velcro straps on a 120 mile Pony Trails once and they came through fine.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years