Author Topic: 67 8" axle markings  (Read 2310 times)

Offline 67gta289

67 8" axle markings
« on: August 09, 2013, 12:59:38 PM »
Picked up a clean 8" 2.79 axle from a 50k mile 67 coupe from GA and started to clean it off.  Pictures from top down:

Note that I have outlined the original paint with sidewalk chalk to make it easier to see and to use as a reference for reproduction later.  I also have pictures without the chalk of course.

The numbers (1), (3) etc. correspond with the picture titles.

(1) found the number "8" on the carrier as seen in other pictures.   The paint extends up (in the picture) but could have been upside down and representing a paint "drip"

(3) found a stripe or perhaps a number "1" that has a wiggle to it.

(5) pink daub under bracket for vent hose.

( 10 ) small "6" large "S", somewhat artistic, on the tube.

(9) green and white paint daubs on the both backing plates

( 8 ) "96X"

(13) White-ish line/stripe on the wheel cylinder.  Note the "Bendix" label and part number on the rubber.  Is this original style?

(20) outside shot of wheel cylinder.  Are the nuts/washers and/or bleeder screw correct?

(12) tag location

I did not find any clear markings on the extreme top or bottom at the center of the housing, but there are some very small bits of paint.  From other posts there seems to be markings in this area.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:03:21 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 8" axle markings
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing but where and when was the car assembled?? :)   
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:32:59 PM »
I knew that was coming, and I'm working on getting that info.  At the time I created the post I realized the info was missing, but did not see any way to save the post as a draft, so posted it.  I'll modify the original post when I have the goods.

That said, I would think that at least some of the marks (if not most) would be a function of the axle assembly plant (Sterling Heights, MI?).  Those would not change based on the assembly plant.  Once physically at the specific assembly plant, something such as the rotation number might be applied.  And they of course would probably differ per plant, the basis for your question I assume.  The other assembly plant task would be to fill with oil. 

If the assembly plant did any more involved sub assembly (axle installation, third member installation, etc.), then I would say that the majority of the markings would transition from the axle plant to the assembly plant.

Any ideas on what the assembly plant work was done for the rear axle assembly as a whole? 

Thanks.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:57:57 PM »
That said, I would think that at least some of the marks (if not most) would be a function of the axle assembly plant (Sterling Heights, MI?).  Those would not change based on the assembly plant.

Agreed but at least the VIN or when the car was produced would provide us a period of time when those marks were applied at the rearend plant since its apparent that (like usual) marks and practices changed through the production year.

So far tying the parts/marks to a specific VIN has been my most successful method of identifying where a part, picture or part came from for cataloging and finding them later

Any ideas on what the assembly plant work was done for the rear axle assembly as a whole? 

Possible that one (if shipped in groups) was marked to identify the group that were placed on the same pallet or shipping container. The "ready to Ship" labels or the "shopping list" writing we see on inner fender panels is an example of this practice.

Addition identification marks as to type or gearing (example of the "935" or "935 A" may have been placed at the plant then at some plants as well (at one plant) of the second rotation number.

Agreed that the majority of the marks we find on engines, transmissions and rearend are from the subassembly plants used for identification of individual parts, subassembles, assemblers, inspectors and such
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 09:39:57 PM »
John the bleeders look like the larger 3/8 which was a replacement. I am not sure but I think the bolts are not correct either. Marty

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing but where and when was the car assembled?? :)

Finally got back to this one.  VIN 7T01C144165 door plate Nov 9.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »
Thanks for getting back with the details
Jeff Speegle