Author Topic: Correct Kick Panel Attaching Screws  (Read 4514 times)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Correct Kick Panel Attaching Screws
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:06:17 AM »
Does anyone have a source for the correct kick panel screws for a '65?  My original screws are much larger than the AMK replacements.  I'm missing three of the originals.  Another detail and yet another search!  :P
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Correct Kick Panel Attaching Screws
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »
I've seen the same larger screws on lots of original cars, they were zinc plated.  One of those instances of AMK selling something close, but not exact.  Haven't found a source for new ones, I usually get originals plated.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:26:37 AM »
Also remember the 65's used three screws per side while the 66's used two.
Texas Swede

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 12:31:33 AM »
Gary, do you still need the screws?
I should have some, leave me a pm.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 07:55:02 PM »
The larger of the two screws shown on the picture appears to be the same size
and appearance as the carpet screws, i.e. 0.49" diameter and 3/4" long. (8-18x3/4  .049)
Part number is 375876-S and if zinc it should be S7, correct?
Believe my 1:st week of May 65 SJ produced GT350 should have these screws both at the carpet and kick panels.
Texas Swede

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 08:26:17 PM »
The larger of the two screws shown on the picture appears to be the same size
and appearance as the carpet screws, i.e. 0.49" diameter and 3/4" long. (8-18x3/4  .049)
Part number is 375876-S and if zinc it should be S7, correct?
Believe my 1:st week of May 65 SJ produced GT350 should have these screws both at the carpet and kick panels.
Texas Swede
Two different screws are used for the kick panel and carpet: 357903-S8 (8-15X1/2 Round washer head, 3/8 in dia head) for the kick panel and 375876-S2 (8-15X3/4 Round washer head, 1/2 in dia head) for the carpet - note that the carpet screws are -S2, phosphate and oil. For 357903-S8, AMK supplies the same size but it is a flat top round washer head screw, the difference Charles mentioned. I re-plate the ones I find as well. AMK does not list 375876-S2 as a screw purchased separately but I don't know what is supplied in their master kit.
Both the 65 and 66 Mustang Interior Assembly manuals (the page is not included in the 64 Interior Manual) call out 2 screws per side for the kick panels, and I've found that San Jose cars may have three.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 10:11:44 PM »
Thanks Jim,
I have seen the information you gave in the AMK catalog and in Ford's 65 Assembly Manual for interior. However, the larger screw on the picture is not the 357903-S size but much larger.
My friend has two unrestored 65's from San Jose and both have 3 large screws as shown in the picture per side. Their size corresponds with 375876-S. The Assembly Manual shows only two screws so it could be possible they changed the size when going from 3 to 2.
Well, maybe we find out for sure in the future.
Texas Swede

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 02:08:27 PM »
Tex,
 There's a couple of other factors that are seldom considered about the assembly line hardware and procedures; there were more than Mustangs being assembled at the same time; they were designed by different groups so the associated hardware most likely was different; if an interior screw was substituted (on purpose or by accident), the QA type may have said it was OK functionally and esthetically (it fit and looked good) so the car passed. There's a lot of supposition in the above, so let the pillorying begin.
 What are the dimensions of the "other" screw. Numbers help in making an identification.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 07:57:59 PM »
Here is what I found used on about 30   (stopped looking when I got around there) 65 San Jose examples

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 04:15:53 PM »
Gary and others, I Thought about this the other day,  I think that another source for the bigger head original Phillips head screws for the Kick Panels pictured are the same identical screws used to hold down the Washer Fluid nozzles on '65-'66 cowl panels. At least it seems to be or look that way on my '65 and '66 cars.

Check it out... and tell me what you think.

:o)

Tony K.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:19:10 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 02:13:08 PM »
Gary and others, I Thought about this the other day,  I think that another source for the bigger head original Phillips head screws for the Kick Panels pictured are the same identical screws used to hold down the Washer Fluid nozzles on '65-'66 cowl panels. At least it seems to be or look that way on my '65 and '66 cars.

Going off of memory here (and it may well be faulty), I think that the washer nozzle screw head is the same, at least from what I can tell in the picture.  However, the screw doesn't seem nearly as long as the original in Gary's picture.  Not saying it wouldn't work, but it still wouldn't be 100% correct.  Again, correct me if I'm wrong; it's been a while since I've had to mess with wiper nozzles.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 08:38:18 PM »
Same head design on San Jose cars - don't know/recall if I've ever measure either lengths
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »
Great catch you guys, on that screw head size matching up to the washer nozzle screws(SJ cars minimum). All these years of staring at those things and never saw it before....I'll have to pull one out of ours and measure it when I can. Someone here will probably beat me to it, but I'll try and do that tonight. I know the nozzle screws are shorter but not by how much. We never had the original kick panel screws so I've had the repro ones in there all this time. Be a nice thing to upgrade at some point.
-Lance
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 09:40:53 PM »
All,

Not by too darn much, as it turns out...
Now this is a bit crude, in that I don't have either calipers or micrometer but here's what I found:

Original Washer nozzle screws:
Phillips Head diameter: 1/2"
Threaded length of screw: 1/2"

Reproduction Kick Panel Screws (all I have):
Head diameter: 13/32"
Screw length: 5/8"

Same width to the screw size itself, common and what most of you know already, I would imagine. So with the thickness of the kick panel itself (molded in boss for the screw, as in Scott Drake's new repos & original ones too), plus the insulation, IMHO, a person would be hard pressed to substitute the original nozzle screws and make them work length-wise, for the kick panel application.

Oh so very close though...!

-Lance

VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options