Author Topic: Trouble Installing '66 289 Air Cleaner/Exh. Manifold Heat Shroud  (Read 2902 times)

Offline drummingrocks

I recently tried to install what I thought was the correct air cleaner to manifold heat shroud for my '66.  This is a '66 289 Mustang, built in December 1965 at Dearborn.  While my car still had the original air cleaner and snorkel when I bought it in 2008, the heat shroud pipe was missing (as most probably are now).  In fact, I didn't even know anything was missing until I looked at Bob Mannel's book.  Guess that explains why so many passenger side exhaust manifolds had that mysterious threaded stud installed! 

I sandblasted and restored what I thought was the correct heat shroud for a '66 289, but something is wrong.  Though the shroud will slide physically into the air cleaner snorkel, it's almost as if the heat shroud pipe is too long, and it makes the air cleaner sit up too high.  I checked at NPD, and the heat shroud they show has a substantial curve to it, whereas mine is straight.  I'm thinking I have a heat shroud off of another mid-sixties Ford.

Here's what I have.  Oddly enough, my air cleaner snorkel doesn't have that notch cut out of the bottom (for reference, there's a corresponding locator hole cut into the heat shroud pipe, almost like a locator hole).  Does this mean my air cleaner snorkel has been changed at some point?

And finally, is this the correct air cleaner snorkel?

Too much junk, too little time.

Offline rocket289k

Re: Trouble Installing '66 289 Air Cleaner/Exh. Manifold Heat Shroud
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:32:39 PM »
+1 to the bottom picture being the correct heat shroud.
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 05:39:03 PM »
Thanks, Ron.  I just thought of another question: Has anyone bought one of the reproductions, and if so, does it have the flattened section that's correct for a Thermactor-equipped car?  I can't tell from the picture on NPD's website.

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 05:59:17 PM »
following this..
Greg Z

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:53:54 PM »
Thanks, Ron.  I just thought of another question: Has anyone bought one of the reproductions, and if so, does it have the flattened section that's correct for a Thermactor-equipped car?  I can't tell from the picture on NPD's website.

Sorry can't help out there - the original heat shroud was on my car and it's not a Thermator equipped car.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 09:11:48 PM »
I don't know if the repro has the flat spot, but almost all of the NOS ones I have seen had it. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 09:25:48 PM »
I found one with a date code of 5L. What does that decode to? December '65?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 12:14:19 AM »
November 65, do your ABZs (no I or O). "M" is December if you want to work backwards. "N" starts the year all over again.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 66PlainJane

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 04:16:30 PM »
I've seen the exhaust manifold heat shroud/riser be available in both the "Ford Corporate Blue" and the semi-flat black used for the bay. Which one is it? I haven't been able to find a good picture since almost all engine photos are shot from the driver's side. Thanks!
1966 Coupe
289 2V
3-spd
Signalflare Red

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 04:27:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
The air cleaner heat shroud and snorkel for 66 V8 (non HP) are blue, the same items on 64 and 65 V8 cars are a flat/semi gloss black.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 66PlainJane

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 02:02:56 AM »
Thank you so much and I appreciate the welcome to the forum.
I hope to help others as much as I can in return.
1966 Coupe
289 2V
3-spd
Signalflare Red

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 03:53:51 PM »
I've seen the exhaust manifold heat shroud/riser be available in both the "Ford Corporate Blue" and the semi-flat black used for the bay. Which one is it? I haven't been able to find a good picture since almost all engine photos are shot from the driver's side. Thanks!

Welcome

Might want to spend some time in the Unrestored Picture Thread area then. You should find a number of pictures that would have provided some insight
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)