Author Topic: 69 S-code distributor 4spd  (Read 2022 times)

Offline SC69

69 S-code distributor 4spd
« on: July 16, 2013, 12:20:48 AM »
     Restoring a 4 spd close ratio S-code. My question is this, what is the correct distributor casting code for this vehicle. Mine is a 67 part number with  69 date code. Any help is appreciated.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 S-code distributor 4spd
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 02:29:04 AM »
     Restoring a 4 spd close ratio S-code. My question is this, what is the correct distributor casting code for this vehicle. Mine is a 67 part number with  69 date code. Any help is appreciated.

Is it a C7OZ-12127-F or G?

According to one reference that would be the original dist for your application.  No reason to redesign the dist for the application so they continued usign the same one for a number of years it appears

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:16 PM »
Is it a C7OZ-12127-F or G?
It would be marked C7OF-12127-F or G from the factory. The "Z" in the fourth position of the part number indicates a service part number and would not (normally) be marked on the part. There is also an indication that this distributor was use on AT equipped cars with no reference to carburation, which may be the "G". This is in addition for the other listing used on every transmission option for four barrel cars. Fords abbreviations leave a lot to be desired.
Jim
Jeff - An answer yet?
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline SC69

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 01:32:09 PM »
It would be marked C7OF-12127-F or G from the factory. The "Z" in the fourth position of the part number indicates a service part number and would not (normally) be marked on the part. There is also an indication that this distributor was use on AT equipped cars with no reference to carburation, which may be the "G". This is in addition for the other listing used on every transmission option for four barrel cars. Fords abbreviations leave a lot to be desired.
Jim
Jeff - An answer yet?

I think my car's distributor is from another car. Has C7AF-12127 A G

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 04:38:31 PM »
I think my car's distributor is from another car. Has C7AF-12127 A G
The application for the -AG is shown as: 390CID; 67 only; full size Ford, Fairlane; 2 barrel carb; AT; without smog.
It's most likely a rebuilt installed by a previous owner (who was just trying to help  ;) ).
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline SC69

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 04:44:20 PM »
The application for the -AG is shown as: 390CID; 67 only; full size Ford, Fairlane; 2 barrel carb; AT; without smog.
It's most likely a rebuilt installed by a previous owner (who was just trying to help  ;) ).
Jim

The guy helped enough already by tossing original air cleaner in garbage for chrome aftermarket lid. Thanks for help. The large S stamped below by gear with another part number means nothing I guess.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »
If the other number has 12131 in the middle, it is the bare casting number used on distributors (different prefix and suffix for different engine series). From that bare casting, Ford used different weights and springs to make specific application units.
Jim