Author Topic: Fender cutout for VIN  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Rusty

Fender cutout for VIN
« on: July 15, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »
I have a question concerning the VIN stamped on the driver side fender apron. I've seen cars with the fender notched out to expose the VIN and others that were not. Is there anything that defines whether the fender was notched or not? I've often wondered if it were done by the owner during a restoration to expose the stamped VIN.  I have a 69 Metuchen Mach 1 that has the VIN stamped on the apron but the fender is not notched around it.
Rusty Maddox

1969 Mach 1, 390
Actual Build Date:  11/1/68
Assembly Plant:  Metuchen, NJ
VIN:  9T02S129xxx

63C    T5     3A     05L      24       6       5
Body  Color  Trim  Date   D.S.O.  Axle  Trans.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Fender cutout for VIN
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Your VIN should be displayed on a tag visible in the lower left hand corner of your windshield. The ones stamped on the fenders are the "hidden" security VINs. No fender cutout is used.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Rusty

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:15:15 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm still curious about the cutouts that I've seen though. I'm not necessarily wondering what my car should be, just inquiring about the cutout in general. That's the reason I posted in the General section. I may have misled a little bit when I mentioned my car. Sorry about that. I've seen photos of fender cutouts and I've seen them at the car shows I've been to. Wondering if the cutout is proper and if so, when would it be proper.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:17:22 PM by Rusty »
Rusty Maddox

1969 Mach 1, 390

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 01:13:48 AM »

I think your looking at or thinking of earlier cars before 1969 and 1970.  For the years you are asking about there is no such thing as a cutout on or in the fenders ever.
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 02:23:09 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'm still curious about the cutouts that I've seen though. I'm not necessarily wondering what my car should be, just inquiring about the cutout in general. That's the reason I posted in the General section. I may have misled a little bit when I mentioned my car. Sorry about that. I've seen photos of fender cutouts and I've seen them at the car shows I've been to. Wondering if the cutout is proper and if so, when would it be proper.

For classic Mustangs the "cut outs" were designed into the drivers fender during 65-68 (though not all 68's had a VIN stamped there) This visible VIN was the legal vin used for registration and normally used to identify the car body
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rusty

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 03:49:45 AM »
For classic Mustangs the "cut outs" were designed into the drivers fender during 65-68 (though not all 68's had a VIN stamped there) This visible VIN was the legal vin used for registration and normally used to identify the car body

Thanks Jeff. That's exactly what I was looking for. I hadn't paid attention to the year models of the cars I had seen with the cut-out.
Rusty Maddox

1969 Mach 1, 390