Author Topic: 1969 fuel tank drain plug  (Read 1546 times)

Offline jholmes217

1969 fuel tank drain plug
« on: July 14, 2013, 12:41:28 AM »
Would a San Jose May 7 1969 Mustang have a fuel tank drain plug?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 fuel tank drain plug
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:48:26 PM »
Don't have allot of gas tank pictures of mid spring San Jose 69 cars but the few i do would suggest that they were still using tanks with the drain at the first of May 69 

Highest San Jose VIN with a drain I have is #187536

Welcome to the site ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jholmes217

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »
Don't have allot of gas tank pictures of mid spring San Jose 69 cars but the few i do would suggest that they were still using tanks with the drain at the first of May 69 

Highest San Jose VIN with a drain I have is #187536

Welcome to the site ;)

Thanks.  That's good news as I prefer having the drain plug.  The last part of my VIN is 174326, so It looks like the one I just took off without a drain plug was a replacement.  There are no stamps of symbols on it.  Who makes the most correct reproduction gas tank?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:51:26 PM by jholmes217 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 09:43:56 PM »
Thanks.  That's good news as I prefer having the drain plug.  The last part of my VIN is 174326, so It looks like the one I just took off without a drain plug was a replacement. ..........

Not all the tanks had markings (ink stampings) on them and many more have worn off over the years. Is there a date on the edge/lip of the tank? As that might provide us with more info.

As for your VIN compared to the one I posted - unfortunately I don't know what the real build date of that car was and it is possible it was built before your car since they were not always built in numerical order. Gets real difficult to figure out some of these details especially when you get right near the change over date ;)

Sorry have not purchased a gas tank in years - hopefully someone else with more recent experience will offer some guidance or feedback
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)