Author Topic: Hi all & interior colours  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Route--66--

Hi all & interior colours
« on: July 09, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »
Hi All
New to the forum so this is my first post.
Firstly apologies in case this topic has already been covered but thought I'd say hi anyway.
I have a 1965 coupe in springtime yellow - 200ci / 6 cylinder and am based in Heath Hayes, England.
I'm a bit of an 'originality' nut - although my only concessions to modernity are electronic ignition (inside the dizzy cap only) and radial tyres instead of cross-plys!

My question:
I have a white interior on my '65 with black trim (black carpet and dash-pad) which is correct as per the car's serial number.

The interior door panels, although ok, would benefit from a light respray.

I am wondering what colour the doors should be .. sounds an obvious question but the dash is like an eggshell light cream colour while the doors and rear panels are'proper' white.
Can anyone confirm this is correct?.. i.e. is it correct that the doors should be in white paint rather than the creamish colour that's on the dash..?

Assume I can't get the white paint in the uk?.. as places like virginia mustang don't ship aerosols..

Many thanks!
Darren

Offline jwc66k

Re: Hi all & interior colours
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:24:33 PM »
Darren,
  Welcome to the forum. You cannot tell interior color by the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). The documented color is on the left hand door data tag as a code. Other code included are the body style, exterior color, assembly date, delivery destination, axle ratio and transmission. No other Ford documentation exists for Fords built before 1967. The tag is often missing, removed by a previous owner, replaced door, etc. There is an interior combination that matches some of what you describe, code D6. Here's what should be white: instrument panel, steering column, steering wheel, front kick panels, windshield posts, visors, metal door surfaces, rear quarter trim panels, headliner and the console (if you  have one). The black items are: dash pad, radio grill, lower windshield molding, door panels, arm rests, carpet and seats. The black is a semi-gloss, the white is also a semi-gloss but is more cream than pure white as you state. I can't tell you of any European sources.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Route--66--

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »
Hi Jim :)
Thanks for that
Tag is still there and you are correct, trim is D6 and as per your description apart from door panels, arm rests, carpet and standard seats which are white. (?) You can see the difference between cream dash and white metal door surfaces;
pic of interior;

here's a quick pic of the car

Cheers!
D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:16:20 PM by Route--66-- »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:36:51 PM »
Here's the same interior, restored with NOS parts and correct paints/finishes:

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 12:31:30 AM »
I was trying to picture the interior and came up with black seats for some reason, the contrast I guess. The contrast of the white seats is obvious with the door panels, carpet and seat belts.
Something else to look into, the three screws (sometimes two) on the driver's kick panel show up as white, I think they should be clear zinc.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Route--66--

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 03:23:38 PM »
Cheers! .. ahhh yes .. I painted the screws white myself as I thought they looked odd being bare metal! .. thought someone had just put odd screws in over time ;) cheers

back to my original question; the white paint on the metal part of the doors, is that pretty much a 'true' white in contrast with the creamish colour of the dashboard and front window pillars?

Many thanks! :)
D

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 03:27:07 PM »
All your metal painted surfaces would be the off-white, but I wouldn't call it a cream color.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 08:29:27 PM »
All your metal painted surfaces would be the off-white, but I wouldn't call it a cream color.
What ever you want to call the shade, it is not "refrigerator white".
Jim

Offline Route--66--

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »
Great thanks :)
Looked behind door panel and it looks as though it's been sprayed over once (unless from the factory there was overspray on the brown papery door / lining?!
Cheers!
D