Author Topic: 1965 Factory AC - Noisy AC Clutch when system cycles "Off"  (Read 679 times)

Offline rocket289k

1965 Factory AC - Noisy AC Clutch when system cycles "Off"
« on: June 28, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I’ve uploaded a couple of videos on YouTube so you guys can see and hear what I’m talking about.  The noise only appears when the AC compressor is cycled to “Off” and the clutch is free wheeling.  In addition, it appears that something is shaking behind the front plate of the clutch.  You can see it clearly in the video.  I suspect both of these problems - the noise and the shaking indicate a problem with the clutch.  Please let me know what you guys think.

PS - The compressor is new and the system is completely silent and works well when the clutch is engaged.

– Compressor Cycled to “On” then to “Off”

- Compressor Cycled to “Off”

Regards,

Ron
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 11:53:55 AM by rocket289k »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline rocket289k

Re: 1965 Factory AC - Noisy AC Clutch when system cycles "Off"
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »
UPDATE - I took the pulley and clutch off of the compressor.  It appears at some point someone bent the faceplate of the clutch just enough to make it rub.  As a result, I'm sending to off to be rebuilt.  Unbeknownst to me the 65 / 66 style clutch is no longer available and rebuilding your own is the only route to take now.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open