Author Topic: Installing Molded '65-66 Firewall Pad  (Read 5750 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Installing Molded '65-66 Firewall Pad
« on: June 28, 2013, 11:33:18 AM »
I have a question about the firewall pad on my '66 fastback.  The original was in awful shape, so I replaced it in 2009 with one of the standard reproductions.  At the time, no one was making the molded firewall pads, so what I got was basically a flat sheet of rubber-backed jute padding that sort of resembled the original pad.  I was never happy with how that pad fit, and now that I have the car apart and the heater box out of the way, I figured I might try one of the newer molded pads that are on the market now.

I remember when these molded pads first came out, and it seemed like no one was happy with them.  In fact, from posts I read at the time, it seemed like people were returning them in droves.  I see that NPD now offers a textured and non-textured version of the molded firewall pad (part numbers 01610-1B and 01610-1D, respectively).  I was somewhat surprised to see that the textured pad is substantially cheaper than the smooth/non-textured version.  Does anyone know the reason for the price difference?  I have no problem with purchasing the smooth molded pad and spraying it with sound deadener to recreate a texture, if that's the best option.  Is the smooth molded pad really $50 better than the textured molded pad (if that makes any sense whatsoever)?

Also, should I plan on gluing the pad to the firewall?  I'm sure that being molded it will fit the firewall better than the cheap pad I have installed now, but do these molded pads truly fit like an assembly line original?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Installing Molded '65-66 Firewall Pad
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 09:21:18 AM »
I haven't used one of the molded firewall pads, but why wouldn't you consider the best option, which is to find a nice original?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 09:47:32 AM »
I haven't used one of the molded firewall pads, but why wouldn't you consider the best option, which is to find a nice original?

I didn't think there was much chance of finding a usable original. The originals I've dealt with before have been brittle. Since they're usually out of parts cars, they've usually sat out in the weather a lot by the time I get to them.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »
I'd suggest trying to find an original first, depending how much time you have.  The originals were somewhat rigid, but that was from the forming process.  The outer texture or dimpled coating can get hard over time, but a nice one will still be somewhat flexible.  If you need the texture one, I've used paintable undercoating like the Evercoat style to freshen them up.  Or, a coat of semi-gloss paint or dye is fine. 

Think this is one area that original would be preferred, it's an awful amount of work to change out later and personally, it would bother me that something this big/visible is not correct.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 12:13:46 AM »

"but why wouldn't you consider the best option, which is to find a nice original?"

LOL.  Sure, Just jump in the DeLorean, Set the year for 1966, and hit 88 MPH...onto the nearest Ford Parts counter.!!!!

Originals are almost Non-existant as my '66 Convertible was in a dire need of an original.  The existing one was torn in half and the passenger side of it was missing.  It took me 7 years to find a clean original one from the same plant, and it was only because by luck someone had sent me an e-mail about some other parts and he mentioned that he had one.

Being realistic, These parts just aren't around anymore.  It's a desperately needed correct reproduction that someone like Scott Drake or Kevin Marti should seriously look into.

Just my opinion.

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 07:46:04 AM »
So if you can't find "nice original" drop down to "workable original". As bad as the slick sheet of rubber that they pass off as repo's are, find something original and work with it. Maybe you'll get credit for effort. I found "something to work with", needed scrubbing, some glue, a can or rubberized undercoating and some black shoe polish. I think they're out there if you work the network. If finding all these original parts were easy, like putting together a catalog car, where's the challenge. Remember the chorus whenever we talk about value of these cars, "They made a million of them."

Greg

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 03:37:43 PM by kutzoh »
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 09:27:46 AM »

Yeah, It's definitely a part that if a car is complete trash, It's certainly worth the time to take it out.  That's for sure.  And Yes, They certainly did make almost 1.4 million '64-'66 Mustangs.  You're right on that level.  Almost Anything can be found, if your have the time, and the money!  Another hobby that I have had pretty recently for the last ten years is collecting Old Edison phonographs, and I have certainly learned that even the most impossible parts can be found.

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 10:30:15 AM »
Don't intend to take the thread off-course, but just wanted to mention that all the reproduction parts that have been available throughout the years have spoiled a lot of owners/shops into building the 'catalog cars' that Greg mentioned.  Most folks will discard old part that don't look perfect and unknowingly throw away a superior part that can usually be restored.

Honestly, I have never had a problem finding an original firewall pad, think I have 2-3 up in the attic.  Check your local craigslist for parts cars.  Even if you paid $1500, if it has a nice pad and a few other parts, get what you need and then re-sell the car.  Probably get the parts for free.  A good parts car can be a gold mine.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
Charles, you wouldn't consider selling one of those original pads, would you?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 04:48:19 PM »
Just another part that needs to be sourced from a junk car or ebay etc. ;) . It depends on if you want to give up or take up the challange to find one. for every story of "I can't find one " I hear five of "how I fixed the tore up one I  found". so i know they are still out there being found all the time. I see them every so often for sale on ebay. You just have to use a little imagination and ingenuity if you want to get one. I have even bought whole cars and sourced parts and resold the car. You don't have to go that extreme unless it is important for you. Mustang parts yards that sell parts ,swap meets  just to name a few , It might take a little time once I am on the job (when i am in need of one) but I like others are able to find them. That is what we (hundreds of Mustang enthusiests across the US.) do . If your standards are not very high then the repro offerings will most likely do the trick. If your standards are higher then take up the challange and not give up. If you sit around and expect it to be handed to you then disapointment is likely . Some are  lucky and have them dropped into their laps because of networking. I am never that lucky. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 07:43:49 PM »
Charles, you wouldn't consider selling one of those original pads, would you?

Let me know year and assembly plant and I can take a look.  I know I need at least one for a car I'm restoring.