Author Topic: 1968 Door Speakers  (Read 2334 times)

Offline DTruitt

1968 Door Speakers
« on: June 26, 2013, 03:54:07 PM »
I have a April built Dearborn car with black standard interior and factory AM/FM Stereo and need a few questions answered.

1. With standard interior and AM/FM Stereo would the doors also come with the courtesy lights in the door?

2. Anyone have a picture of the factory door speaker grill cut out?  Currently I can not confirm if the speaker holes on my car are factory cut or have been modified after the fact.  Both doors are consistant; just not sure if they have been modified!  I have to replace one door; so I want to cut the "new" hole as accurately as possible.

3. It appears that the interior door with courtesy light was stamped open; did Ford have 3 different door stamps or was the speaker hole cut by the factory for the stereo cars?

Danny
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1968 Door Speakers
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 09:21:59 PM »
I have a April built Dearborn car with black standard interior and factory AM/FM Stereo and need a few questions answered.

1. With standard interior and AM/FM Stereo would the doors also come with the courtesy lights in the door?

Not unless they also got the other package that included the working lights from what I've seen

2. Anyone have a picture of the factory door speaker grill cut out?  Currently I can not confirm if the speaker holes on my car are factory cut or have been modified after the fact.  Both doors are consistant; just not sure if they have been modified!  I have to replace one door; so I want to cut the "new" hole as accurately as possible.

Only found one picture of a set of doors with the speaker holes HACKED out - believe they were added - under dash 8 track in the car with an AMFM in the dash

3. It appears that the interior door with courtesy light was stamped open; did Ford have 3 different door stamps or was the speaker hole cut by the factory for the stereo cars?

Same set of doors the light holes looked stamped and perfect. Think there is an extra door sitting around here with the light and maybe the speaker holes. Will check and see if I have it still and snap a picture if so
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:05:32 PM »
Thanks, Jeff! I can't believe you don't have a few pictures in your library.  Hopefully, you or others can find a couple pics.

Danny
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 10:09:49 PM »
Here is one Pete Disher (similar discussion over at SAAC) posted that should help

Sure looks like its made very nicely

See we don't give up and are pretty lucky LOL - timing was just right

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=23587.0
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 11:16:30 PM »
Danny Here is a original deluxe door with light and no speaker hole. I have a pair of deluxe doors with speaker holes. I also have a template for cutting light and speaker holes.
Marty

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
Marty,
Can you snap a couple pictures of the door speaker hole in the doors you have.

Thanks,
Danny
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 08:24:19 PM »
Here is one Pete Disher (similar discussion over at SAAC) posted that should help

Sure looks like its made very nicely

See we don't give up and are pretty lucky LOL - timing was just right

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=23587.0

Thanks, Jeff. Yeah, I had my cousin post over on the SAAC forum.  Just trying to get as much info as quickly as possible as the car is in the body shop now!  My speaker holes are different from the hole Pete posted.  My thinking at this point is they were cut after stamping and the different factories maybe did them different.  We'll see if I get any more responses.

Danny
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 11:26:32 PM »
Danny here is the picture, but it does not look like a factory hole.
Sorry Marty