Author Topic: 68 front marker light retainer  (Read 4190 times)

Offline Murf

68 front marker light retainer
« on: June 03, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »
What is the correct finish for the front marker light retainer  (15A210-1a NPD part number).  Image of original or NOS appreciated.  Thanks!
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline ruppstang

Re: 68 front marker light retainer
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:49:42 PM »
John I have no NOS pics but the finish should be zinc dichromate.
Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:35:24 PM »
John I have no NOS pics but the finish should be zinc dichromate.
Marty
Marty ,the most common version was zinc dichromate. There is another variety that is less common . It is plated in type of plating that the process eludes me however it has a bronzy look to it for lack of a better discription. I don't have any pics but maybe someone watching does. Tim? Jeff?   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Murf

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:04:22 AM »
Does any vendor have the retainers with the correct plating? I checked with NPD last evening and the guy was kind enough to go out and get one of the retainers and look at it and he reported it was plain steel (his exact words were "like unpainted sheet metal" ).  Still have my originals but they have been painted so obviously the fragile Z/D coating is gone, or would be gone after stripping the paint from the metal.  Any suggestions or is it off to the electroplating shop again with a very small batch of parts that seems to annoy the crabby folks that do that kind of work.  Thanks.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
Does any vendor have the retainers with the correct plating? I checked with NPD last evening and the guy was kind enough to go out and get one of the retainers and look at it and he reported it was plain steel (his exact words were "like unpainted sheet metal" ).  Still have my originals but they have been painted so obviously the fragile Z/D coating is gone, or would be gone after stripping the paint from the metal.  Any suggestions or is it off to the electroplating shop again with a very small batch of parts that seems to annoy the crabby folks that do that kind of work.  Thanks.
The best thing is to replate the original if not pitted or plate the repros . The eastwood faux zinc dichromate painting does not look good enough to pass on a part like this IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 02:14:43 AM »
The best thing is to replate the original if not pitted or plate the repros . The eastwood faux zinc dichromate painting does not look good enough to pass on a part like this IMO.
+ 1
  Bob was the bronze colored coating a plant specific thing or just a different supplier? Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 07:58:39 AM »
+ 1
  Bob was the bronze colored coating a plant specific thing or just a different supplier? Marty
Most likly a different supplier.Not sure about plant specific because I haven't seen enough to develop a pattern.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 08:36:28 AM »
+ 1
Like Bob I haven't seen enough to form a conclusion but I see the varieties within the same plant so it may be vendor specific but not plant specific. The overwhelming majority are zinc dichromate. I believe the bronzeish colored ones are also zinc dichromate as they have that gold tone to them but my theory is it may have been batches that the plating was contaminated with another agent but not enough to affect the preserving properties. I've been trying to record them but dont have enough samples  yet. Most of the ones I find are already off the cars so I cant attach them to a plant/time frame. The several I do have suggest they may have been late 68 (March+)
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 10:43:59 AM »
Tim that seems like a logical theory since Ford used mostly Zinc dichromate parts with electrical assemblies. I am going to be jugging a very nice unrestored 68 this weekend and will make point to check it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »
Tim that seems like a logical theory since Ford used mostly Zinc dichromate parts with electrical assemblies. I am going to be jugging a very nice unrestored 68 this weekend and will make point to check it.

Yes I see Larry's bring his car - remember judging it back in the early 80's. Don't think I've seen the 67 that is coming and entered in the unrestored.

See you there :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »
Like Bob I haven't seen enough to form a conclusion but I see the varieties within the same plant so it may be vendor specific but not plant specific. The overwhelming majority are zinc dichromate. I believe the bronzeish colored ones are also zinc dichromate as they have that gold tone to them but my theory is it may have been batches that the plating was contaminated with another agent but not enough to affect the preserving properties. I've been trying to record them but dont have enough samples  yet. Most of the ones I find are already off the cars so I cant attach them to a plant/time frame. The several I do have suggest they may have been late 68 (March+)
I was talking to Ed Meyer and some other friends at the Carlisle swap show on friday and the conscience was that it was a distinct dark plating just like used on the late 67 and 68 windshiled washer sqirters. It is typically used in the military from what I was told. I will have to research what it is actually  called. Ed thinks they were all the dark color and that the Zinc dichromate color is what is left after the other rubs off. The dark ones that I have had do have a hint of the rainbow gold but I like others here do not think that they all were the dark plating.   I have seen many examples where the protected side after being bolted down was still (small section) the brillent zinc dichromate.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 11:31:21 PM »
...................The dark ones that I have had do have a hint of the rainbow gold but I like others here do not think that they all were the dark plating.   I have seen many examples where the protected side after being bolted down was still (small section) the brillent zinc dichromate.

Have seen plenty with the surface behind the nuts that way (brighter protected finish)
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 12:46:17 PM »
I have seen nos fomoco tagged 68 bezels years ago 7 were the olive draub military type plating like 70 washer jets &69-70 under cowl wiper arm levers & some rubber coated clips etc.  Some mopar parts have this plating also mainly hood latches & catches etc. I had some 68 side marker retainers plated this way from a mopar plater as I had some used ones that were plated that way from factory. Has anybody researched this in assembly manual or mpc?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »
Wonder if they changed the plating (would not be the first time) from one of the sub contactors for some of the service replacements ?
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 01:08:04 AM »
I have seen nos fomoco tagged 68 bezels years ago 7 were the olive draub military type plating like 70 washer jets &69-70 under cowl wiper arm levers & some rubber coated clips etc.  Some mopar parts have this plating also mainly hood latches & catches etc. I had some 68 side marker retainers plated this way from a mopar plater as I had some used ones that were plated that way from factory. Has anybody researched this in assembly manual or mpc?
I don't think it is olive drab because that is very green although flat and darker. The parts like the retainers and  69/70 cowl wiper arms are more bronze then green.  I never gave the zinc dicromate a second thought until I saw some examples of the dark plated . Since the retainer was part of a electrcal assembly like many other light retainers that are zinc dichromate which is typical to electrical I never thought another plating was used.