Author Topic: 69 Mach 1 Cowl/Wiper Motor Location Paint  (Read 3320 times)

Offline G Wood

69 Mach 1 Cowl/Wiper Motor Location Paint
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:50:30 PM »
I read through some earlier posts regarding the application of semi-gloss black to the cowl/wiper motor area. Before I install the motor and cowl, I want to ensure that I have mine correct. Does anyone have a photo of how a January Dearborn car should be painted in this area. Does the black get applied only on the wiper motor area or is black also applied to the top of the cowl area as well. The engine compartment black stops at the cowl pinch weld.

Thanks
65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Mach 1 Cowl/Wiper Motor Location Paint
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:11:11 PM »
Its good to be lucky - can't believe how much of the time you guys ask question and luck has it a car pops up locally to answer your and my questions :)

Anyway found a Late December (projected date) 69 original paint Dearborn example and the shop had started disassembling it ( allot of my pictures don't have the cowl cover removed) this week.  It appears (will have to go back and correct my earlier statements to reflect this period of time) that the painter on at least this car did not black out the windshield lip (forward edge of where the dash pad would connect) to hod the body color around the defroster ducts and dash pad to A pillar molding. Don't not look nice but that is the way it was on this example. Did the same on my April car and I need to get back into that one to black those areas out since they jump out visually with an Orange car

How this manifested itself on my 69 Boss driver :(  Interesting that the April A pillar covers are shaped differently at that end

Anyway will post a few pictures to illustrate what I found .

Of course the area under the cowl cover would have the "zebra" stripes from the application of the Mach I hood treatment - unfortunately the example is from a non- Mach I

Hope this helps in your project
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:31:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline G Wood

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:13:04 AM »
Jeff:

Thanks again, this was exactly what I was looking for and it confirms that mine is correct.
65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Online specialed

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 01:04:41 PM »
Jeff from what I see on Dearborn cars cowl blackout started in spring 69 around 69 1/2 boss 302 hood blackout time & when lh front apron changed from flat to ribbed (support for boss revlimiter I think).  The photo on your car A-pillar moulding I will check all mine as the coupe convert fastback are all 3 different but is it a vendor change or early late thing?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 06:06:53 PM »
Jeff from what I see on Dearborn cars cowl blackout started in spring 69 around 69 1/2 boss 302 hood blackout time & when lh front apron changed from flat to ribbed (support for boss revlimiter I think). 

Discussion was about the blacking out of the lower edge of the windshield opening  to hide the body color around the defroster ducts, dash pad/a pillar area like they did at most plants and years starting in 64 till 69 when they just blacked out everything from the cowl pinch weld up into the opening. Agree with the approx change point at Dearborn (San Jose started doing it much earlier) First Dearborn cowl black out I have is 9F02S185711
Jeff Speegle

Online specialed

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 11:34:32 AM »
Jeff  I looked thru my 69-70 A-pillar mouldings ( around 30 or so coupe convert fastback all 3 different) & all mine are straight across at bottom dash pad area & not not having that off set like the brown 1 in your photo & am wondering what # would be on backside & where it came from a cougar or some early thing as it fits dash pad better.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »
Jeff  I looked thru my 69-70 A-pillar mouldings ( around 30 or so coupe convert fastback all 3 different) & all mine are straight across at bottom dash pad area & not not having that off set like the brown 1 in your photo & am wondering what # would be on backside & where it came from a cougar or some early thing as it fits dash pad better.

Car is pretty original (though the 6 cylinder disappeared and a V8 now sits under the hood. Its in being painted so I'll see if the molding will come out so I can get a peek at the back side

Car is a mid year (about 9F01T143xxx) vehicle
Jeff Speegle