Author Topic: Trunk drop drains and Accelerator pedal linkage  (Read 1618 times)

Offline app01

• Make Your Car Stand Out with A Custom Showboard from
Trunk drop drains and Accelerator pedal linkage
« on: May 04, 2013, 11:06:12 PM »
May 70 Dearborn B2

#1- At what point in the assembly process were the  Trunk dropoff drains (those small rubber drain valves on the inside facing the leaf springs) installed? I an trying to determine if there would be any  sound deadner, or paint on them and if so  is it just body paint?

#2 - On the linkage that the accelerator pedal connects to, what is the finish of that linkage? Natural, P&O, semigloss black? If painted, is it completely painted?

Thanks again,
Tony
Currently own:
1970 Boss 302 - Yellow- May 1970, Dearborn
1970 Mach 1 -Sept 1969, Metuchen
1962 Corvette 340hp

Previously Owned:
1967 Mustang Convertible (My 1st car)
1970 Mach 1 (my 2nd car)
1989 GT
1969 Mach 1 (<29k miles, Unrestored, MCA Gold)-sold in 2012

MCA #62598

www.PalmieriConcepts.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trunk drop drains and Accelerator pedal linkage
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 02:30:31 AM »
May 70 Dearborn B2

#1- At what point in the assembly process were the  Trunk dropoff drains (those small rubber drain valves on the inside facing the leaf springs) installed? I an trying to determine if there would be any  sound deadner, or paint on them and if so  is it just body paint?

How would have exterior color got to the back side of the trunk drop?  And the only sound deadener application would be the start or  tale end of the pass in the wheel well. That product normally ends up on the inner frame rail outer surface and or the top horizontal surface of the trunk floor between the frame rail and trunk drop - it appears that the worker was below and slightly outside during the application looking at many wheelwells. I've got no pictures of sound deadener in that area at any plant that I can think of . IMHPO would be very difficult for body color and/or sound deadener to wrap or travel around the lower back edge of the rear wheelwell where it is cupped towards the painter As illustrated in the original picture below

Also a picture of some (as far outward as I've found it that year and plant )

Sealer would normally only have paint on it if it extended (an  edge) below the trunk drop and quarter panel (when it was applied - not all years and plants did this application)   - then only on the outer facing surface below the quarter panel

Would be interesting to see any original pictures that indicate differently

#2 - On the linkage that the accelerator pedal connects to, what is the finish of that linkage? Natural, P&O, semigloss black? If painted, is it completely painted?

Bell crank attached to the firewall- P & O completely ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:33:54 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline app01

• Make Your Car Stand Out with A Custom Showboard from
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:12:23 AM »
Thanks again Jeff. I agree that it would have been difficult to get body paint on that drain, but thought that if it was installed early enough on, when they did the body spray in that lower area some may have gotten then.
Currently own:
1970 Boss 302 - Yellow- May 1970, Dearborn
1970 Mach 1 -Sept 1969, Metuchen
1962 Corvette 340hp

Previously Owned:
1967 Mustang Convertible (My 1st car)
1970 Mach 1 (my 2nd car)
1989 GT
1969 Mach 1 (<29k miles, Unrestored, MCA Gold)-sold in 2012

MCA #62598

www.PalmieriConcepts.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 03:24:36 PM »
Believe those were added much later - and after the sealant
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)