Author Topic: air cleaner housing question  (Read 3411 times)

Offline cobrajetchris

air cleaner housing question
« on: April 19, 2013, 03:56:11 PM »
If I remember right inside of the air cleaner base inside the filter and around the carburetor was sprayed a semi gloss black. This is kind of a general question as I know I have seen this before and my question is was this the standard on all FORD air cleaners of the 69-70 era or was this engine and plant specific. The one I am restoring is my DEARBORN 10/10/68 R code. 
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: air cleaner housing question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »
Have seen allot of original air cleaners (65-73) that were painted only engine color no semi-gloss black. Don't believe it was a plant thiong (since air cleaners were painted at the supplier i believe. More likely IMHO a supplier and year thing. Going to move this to 69-70 or your going to get hundreds of 6 cylinder and different year examples ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 10:17:03 PM »
     The one on my car.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 11:15:46 PM »
Prior to 1968 the Air Cleaners were left Natural Metal on the inside. Starting in 1968 the Small Block and Big Block Air Cleaners were painted Semi-Gloss Black on the insides before being sprayed Engine Blue on the outside which typically left some blue overspray on the black insides. Per the 428CJ registry the inner raised section that the air filter sits on should be painted Black. Cars with Ram-Air but Without Shaker(ie: Shelby and Non-Shaker 428RA) had the inside of the air cleaner base visible with the Hood Opened and these I have seen to be typically Blue on the inside as well. Just some of my observations along with some posted data from other sources. This Link might help.

http://428cobrajet.org/id-air-cleaner-69R
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 12:34:00 AM »
Prior to 1968 the Air Cleaners were left Natural Metal on the inside. ...........

Not what I've experienced in all cases. some may have had thinning paint or no paint due to painter's lack of effort but have seen allot of all painted as mentioned. Just what I've seen over the last 40+ years.

But that does not help the OP's question and his focus ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 12:48:08 AM »
I also have seen painted inside earlier housings Jeff, but the reason I stated it that way is because I have seen Perkins call it out that way(at least for small block cars) and made an assumption that it was the way MCA cars are judged since he is Head Authenticity Judge. Not really sure if thats how they are judged or not. And, I know that that could very well be differences between year-date-plant.

I like to add a little history when I post even if it does not directly pertain to the year-plant of the OPs questions because some newbie might come in and read something specific to year-date-plant and apply it over a wider spectrum and it can cause some confusion in instances like that. When I joined Concours Mustang it even took me a while to realize that a lot of you answer questions specifically to year-build date-plant and it would cause me some confusion. I know you like to do it that way to quell any misunderstandings but not everyone catches on to that right away and I know it took me a little bit to figure that out. :)
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 01:20:32 AM »
I also have seen painted inside earlier housings Jeff, but the reason I stated it that way is because I have seen Perkins call it out that way(at least for small block cars) and made an assumption that it was the way MCA cars are judged since he is Head Authenticity Judge. Not really sure if that's how they are judged or not. And, I know that that could very well be differences between year-date-plant.

Since this is not "How to restore your MCA show car" that is not our first concern here unless the OP requests that focus.  At MCA you will not find them disassembling the car normally alike some other venues. ;)

I like to add a little history when I post even if it does not directly pertain to the year-plant of the OPs questions because some newbie might come in and read something specific to year-date-plant and apply it over a wider spectrum and it can cause some confusion in instances like that. When I joined Concours Mustang it even took me a while to realize that a lot of you answer questions specifically to year-build date-plant and it would cause me some confusion. I know you like to do it that way to quell any misunderstandings but not everyone catches on to that right away and I know it took me a little bit to figure that out. :)

The purpose for not mixing years, time period and plants all the time is to teach the newbies that there are differences and to take notice of them.... We've done the one size fits all for way too long..... so that's the reason for the reminders .... over and over again. They all seem to catch on especially if all the long term members follow the practice and set the example ;)
Jeff Speegle

Online specialed

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »
The bottom of air cleaner lid was also blackout painted & I am not so sure the blackout was done before the blue on both.

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »
I forgot to mention about the backside of the air cleaner lid being black as well. I have seen some like that too.

I am not building my car to any club standards, I am just looking to have it correct as possible even on non visible items such as this.

As far as someone taking my car apart to verify this one way or another they better not let me see them do it.  ;D
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 12:06:10 AM »
Went to a swap meet and checking the original un-repainted  V8 air cleaners from 68-72 would agree that the bases on those were black around the carb opening on the inside of the base and many were black also on the bottom of the lid (painted versions ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:50:51 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle