Author Topic: 68 SJ - Shock tower sticker on apron?  (Read 6173 times)

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
68 SJ - Shock tower sticker on apron?
« on: March 24, 2013, 06:34:26 AM »
i just saw a similar thread, this has been bugging me for a while.

my 68 AC car has the shock tower sticker on the apron. its not straight at all and looks out of place, which is not unusual for these cars i know...

is there any way to tell if its repro? i might have to strip some more paint off it if that will help. i scratched the shock tower a little and i couldn't see any remnants of a sticker, but it doesn't mean there wasn't one at some stage...

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:41:15 AM by tim_morrison82 »
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline C5ZZ

Re: Shock tower sticker on apron?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
i just saw a similar thread, this has been bugging me for a while.

my 68 AC car has the shock tower sticker on the apron. its not straight at all and looks out of place, which is not unusual for these cars i know...

is there any way to tell if its repro? i might have to strip some more paint off it if that will help. i scratched the shock tower a little and i couldn't see any remnants of a sticker, but it doesn't mean there wasn't one at some stage...

Jeff Speegle had mentioned in the other thread that it could be on A/C cars that
the sticker was put on the apron versus the shock tower which makes sense
since it would be more visable there.

I have to put the sticker on mine and I have A/C, not sure what spot to put it in.
Hope some judges chime in with their thoughts.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »
Just FYI, my july 68 Metuchen S code FB w/AC still has the original label on the tower (Placed vertically...)

Online ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:04:47 PM »
If it was placed on the apron originally I believe that it was in error because the washer bottle would have covered it. As a judge I would deduct for it on the apron unless you had documentation. AC or not it should be on the shock tower. Marty

Online Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »
My Dearborn-built 68 coupe, with a/c, had the decal on the passenger side shock tower.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 12:15:12 AM »
Guess you should have mentioned where your car was built ;)

Guess you can check to see if there is two levels of black paint in that area. My first best guess as to how to determine if it was applied later
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:26:00 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 12:46:44 AM »
i used to have a signature with that info... its J code with C4, SJ Dec 67 build, AC, PDB, PS, HD suspension, Non GT.

i was under the assumption that the washer bottle would be right on top. i thought maybe with a high rotation number maybe it was one of the last of the day and they just whacked it together to get out of the plant...
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 01:09:54 AM »
i used to have a signature with that info... its J code with C4, SJ Dec 67 build, AC, PDB, PS, HD suspension, Non GT.

Guess the responders with cars from other plants missed that ;)

i was under the assumption that the washer bottle would be right on top. i thought maybe with a high rotation number maybe it was one of the last of the day and they just whacked it together to get out of the plant...

Could have been the first car of the day with that rotation number (no relationship between rotation and any particular day or time of day)

Maybe an opps - maybe something else
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 08:47:49 AM »
The original decals I've seen typically have a thin paper backing, normally wouldn't see part of the design left after the decal deteriorated.

IMHO, it appears that maybe a previous owner put on one of the silver-back repro decals.  These have been available for over 25 years.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 08:49:28 AM »
My Dearborn-built 68 coupe, with a/c, had the decal on the passenger side shock tower.

+1, fairly consistent later in the '68 production year at Dearborn.  The CJ I'm doing had it on the passenger side also.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 03:02:24 PM »
Walked my wrecking yard this morning. All of the 1968 Cougars have the sticker on one or the other shock tower, driver or passenger. No difference between San Jose and Dearborn, same pattern on 1967 (all Dearborn).
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 03:23:01 PM »
Walked my wrecking yard this morning. All of the 1968 Cougars have the sticker on one or the other shock tower, driver or passenger. No difference between San Jose and Dearborn, same pattern on 1967 (all Dearborn).

Never seen a San Jose car with the sticker on the passenger side originally but that is where I've seen all 68 Dearborn examples.  Just saying ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 10:22:56 PM »
Here is a picture of the sticker on the shock tower
of a car in a salvage yard I go to.

7T03C209201
Factory A/C
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »
After finding my master cylinder sticker painted over and in nice shape, i am thinking that the engine bay respray happened pretty early on, and the fact that this sticker has also been painted over keeps me wondering if it was originally put there... i still think it was just something they accidentally did on my car.

i will try and get the paint off the sticker, but its going to be a little harder on this one as it hasn't  had brake fluid on it...

what can i use to get the paint off this sticker, without killing the sticker so i can see if it is any different to a normal shock tower sticker. other than a strange placement, is there anything else that would easily tell me if it was a repro sticker?

Cheers, Tim

Offline Oz390

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »
If you can get the paint off without destroying it the font and layout would indicate a repro over OEM.  Believe most of the early repros had slight differences to OEM (as most today still do).

As for location, unless you can document that car coming from the factory with the sticker there (pretty much impossible) its one of those "maybe it was, but its not standard" items that will always be questioned.
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute