Author Topic: 68 SJ - Shock tower sticker on apron?  (Read 6172 times)

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
Re: Shock tower sticker on apron?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 09:04:34 PM »
I dont want my car to be identical to the rest of the herd, I want my car to be perfectly imperfect. if I can find no corners bent up on the sticker, and its an original sticker, I dont really feel comfortable moving it...
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 10:30:05 PM »
After finding my master cylinder sticker painted over and in nice shape, i am thinking that the engine bay respray happened pretty early on, and the fact that this sticker has also been painted over keeps me wondering if it was originally put there... i still think it was just something they accidentally did on my car.

i will try and get the paint off the sticker, but its going to be a little harder on this one as it hasn't  had brake fluid on it...

what can i use to get the paint off this sticker, without killing the sticker so i can see if it is any different to a normal shock tower sticker. other than a strange placement, is there anything else that would easily tell me if it was a repro sticker?

Got to look at the design but can't think of many things that will take off the paint but leave the ink on the sticker. Might try (on a corner) some wax and silicon remover) its pretty light stuff so the black paint will not normally wipe right off but will come with a little time and effort. Don't soak the area
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 02:06:24 AM »
found a nice original car with a sticker poking out from a similar position under the washer bottle. it was mostly covered. the sticker looks 100 percent original with blistered paint all over the engine bay. he said there was a long sticker orientated vertically that was on tge shock tower that got pressure washed off. he may have a pic of it. I didnt get his details, or have a chance to get his vin. but an original j code. he couldnt stay and chat it was 38 degrees yesterday and ge was headed to some air conditioned comfort at home where the beers live. I will have to post the pic, but wont be able to till tomorrow. .
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 10:29:12 AM »

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »
the car in the pic was a non ac car by the way. I will be chasing the owner up to make sure I get more info.

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 08:33:57 PM »
I am assuming that no one else has ever seen or heard of anything like this in any other cars? only these 2 cars that both happen to be in the same city in Australia? seems unlikely that there isnt more out there.

I will be replacing my sticker where I found it now that I know other cars have had stickers placed in that location from factory.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 09:41:27 PM »
Walked my wrecking yard this morning. All of the 1968 Cougars have the sticker on one or the other shock tower, driver or passenger. No difference between San Jose and Dearborn, same pattern on 1967 (all Dearborn).

Going to make a retraction. Only checked 1968 cars, only made notations if they had original stickers, no difference if big block or small block, no difference with or without A/C. I have 18, 1968 Cougars. All of the San Jose cars have the sticker on the driver side shock tower. All of the Dearborn cars have the sticker on the passenger side shock tower. I took numerous pictures showing the positioning of those decals, they are mostly straight, some higher than others. Some closer to the apron, some wrap partially around the curved section.

Again, my bad for not being more careful.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline rodster

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 10:46:53 PM »
the car in the pic was a non ac car by the way. I will be chasing the owner up to make sure I get more info.

Good idea, get some more pictures too.  ;)
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 11:02:11 PM »
I am assuming that no one else has ever seen or heard of anything like this in any other cars? only these 2 cars that both happen to be in the same city in Australia? seems unlikely that there isn't more out there.

Looks through about 4,000 pictures and could not find any Dearborn or San Jose 68's with the decal behind the washer bottle. There were a fair number where the decal was gone or painted over so can't tell about those  or a few where the bottle was still in place blocking the view of the inner panel so could confirm it it was there or not.

As Scott (krelboyne) wrote I found that workers at Dearborn typically applied them to the passenger side shock tower and San Jose worker applied them to the drivers side shock towers. Did have one odd ball Dearborn car.  Also as mentioned the vast majority were applied pretty much horizontal

PS - Tim did add "68" to the title of the thread for future readers and followers
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:04:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tim_morrison82

Re: 68 - Shock tower sticker on apron?
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 12:40:09 AM »
thanks Jeff, should also add SJ to the title.