Author Topic: Approximate Changeover Date for Exhaust Manifold Lock Tabs?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Approximate Changeover Date for Exhaust Manifold Lock Tabs?
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:25:38 PM »
I'm working on my '66 fastback, built December 8th, 1965, at Dearborn.  The car was complete when I got it, but the original engine was out of the car.  I'm trying to figure out if my car would've had lock tabs on the exhaust manifolds or not.  NPD lists the changeover/phase-out date as sometime in December 1965, which doesn't help me.  I've got the engine back out of the car and am correcting a few details, and this is something that would be a lot easier corrected now rather than later.

Thanks for any help!!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
Re: Approximate Changeover Date for Exhaust Manifold Lock Tabs?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »
I would go with the lock tabs. Figure the engine was built before the car so probably Nov or early Dec.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 12:14:41 AM »
Check the engine assembly date before doing anything rash. The date is on a tab sticking out near the distributor (see pic), formatted - 5M2Z (year, month, day, inspector ID = 1965, Dec, 2nd, inspector Zed).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 06:53:25 PM »
Check the engine assembly date before doing anything rash. The date is on a tab sticking out near the distributor (see pic), formatted - 5M2Z (year, month, day, inspector ID = 1965, Dec, 2nd, inspector Zed).
Jim

I think "Zed" was the assembler not the inspector according to Ford ;) But yes that date would be the best indicator (landmark) for comparing engine changes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:21:22 PM »
I'm not familiar with the date stamp you are referring to. I do, however have the original metal tag that bolted to the intake manifold. Would that help, or is that what you are referring to?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 12:29:52 AM »
That tag would help, but it could have been replaced. The block's stamping is a more permanent mark. The picture is of my Oct 65 San Jose K Fastback showing the location with relation to the fuel pump and a few other nearby items taken about 10 minutes ago. The boss (aka tab) is also used for retaining one of the water pump bolts. You can see the 5H23Z (ok, "agent Zed" then) stamped on mine.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 06:46:06 AM »
My Change Level 11 C-Code 289, came from Windsor with a date on the original tag of "B" = February.
This engine had the bend-the-tab type saddle straps under the manifold bolts.  I suppose they could have been changed before I bought the car in 1979, but I doubt the ramp-lock bolts were ever used on this engine.

In my mind, I am 99% sure that it was assembled in Windsor using the saddle straps.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:55:15 AM by bryancobb »
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »
Wow,  I never knew about the boss on the actual engine itself.  Mine reads "5G29M."

The aluminum tag on the intake reads:
289   C   66    9
5-G          250-S

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:00:27 AM by drummingrocks »