Author Topic: Washer Bag Bracket  (Read 2380 times)

Offline rodster

Washer Bag Bracket
« on: March 16, 2013, 12:14:13 AM »
Hi there,

I've attached a photo of my left fender apron as I was getting ready to start the reassembly of my July 65 Metuchen built Coupe.  There were no miscellaneous holes driled in the sheetmetal and my car is equipped with 2 Speed Wipers as well.  I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ron

After seeing this picture, I noticed my 65 Dearborn car has the washer bag bracket located in a different location. What I find odd is there is a dimple present where the left screw of the bracket is in Ron's picture. Does this mean this is where the washer bag bracket was suppose to go but was installed somewhere else?  I recalling seeing other cars at shows with similar bracket locations as mine.  I may even have a few pictures.

Any idea if this is an odd situation or is there pattern to where the bracket got placed?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Chris

Re: Washer Bag Bracket
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:13:41 AM »
The picture on the bottom looks to have the dimples for the drill point locations for the remotely mounted power steering reservoir. For the 64 1/2, the power steering reservoir mounted closest to the front of the car with the washer bag bracket just to the rear.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »
Interesting. I forgot about that. My washer bag bracket can also fit the holes for rear mounted location so I'm guessing a PO must have moved it at one time? Wouldn't think the line workers would mount it in the current location where the probably wasn't any dimples.

I search the internet and found some good pictures of the panel and the original dimple locations.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!  ;)
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Chris

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures of my remote power steering reservoir mounted on the inner fender apron. You can see the dimples for the location of the washer bag mounting just behind/left of the reservoir. The previous owner drilled some holes here to mount an alarm, but you can see the two dimples for the washer bag to the left and right of the drilled holes.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »
Good pictures, thank!  :)
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 10:34:18 PM »
Also consider you have dealer and factory installed washers (another twist ;)

Isn't there also two different sized bags and brackets? (wide and narrow)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 11:57:02 AM »
Good point on the dealer installed.  I don't recall any markings on the radiator support calling out for the windshield option? One might never know.  ;)

Don't know anything about a wide/narrow bracket?  I assume you don't mean between the hooks otherwise it would necessitate a different bag? 
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline 66candy

• 66 Mustang Convertible Phote Book Restoration
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 10:42:36 AM »
I pretty sure that the bracket of my late 66 coupe (july 26) was welded to the apron.
Erwin, The Netherlands

66 Red Convertible, 289/4V AT/PS/PDB/PT

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 01:27:25 PM »
From what I remember the 67 had a different bolt-on bracket than the 65-66. They had different mounting hole widths. Can't remember if they had different hook widths. It could be an issue if someone were to try and interchange them. Have also seen plenty of welded-on brackets.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs