Author Topic: Kick Panels for a '65  (Read 7261 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Kick Panels for a '65
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 07:30:19 AM »
I have also had good success putting the screws in the A-pillar backwards (points pointing towards the tranny hump) and then pressing the kick panel into the screw points.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 12:50:17 PM »
I used the old panel as a pattern.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 01:25:38 PM »
To clear up all this confusion about what is and is not available I spoke with someone at Scott Drake this morning.

They have 2 types of kick panels available. The older style with the molded in color.  These are not as good as the new improved style.  The new improved style is available in only white or black but have better contours, grain and fit. 

So it is basically a trade off.  Do you want to paint the better ones to match, or, do you want the older style that won't fit or look quite as nice but you don't have to paint them.  That's the way the Scott Drake rep explained it to me.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 01:57:59 PM »
Gary, I think you should jump on these!!! (NOT mine) I think they must be originals (possibly NOS) seller says they have been on his shelf for 20 years......I don't think anyone was reproducing them 20 years ago....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1965-MUSTANG-CONVERTIBLE-KICK-PANELS-BRIGHT-RED-NEW-C5ZZ-76023445DR-/270864671079?hash=item3f10cae167&item=270864671079&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 02:21:30 PM »
Pretty sure kick panels were being reproduced in the early to mid 80's.   All the NOS ones I've ever seen had pre-made holes with reinforcements in the back.  My guess is those are probably hard plastic repro's.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 02:23:31 PM »
To clear up all this confusion about what is and is not available I spoke with someone at Scott Drake this morning.

They have 2 types of kick panels available. The older style with the molded in color.  These are not as good as the new improved style.  The new improved style is available in only white or black but have better contours, grain and fit. 

So it is basically a trade off.  Do you want to paint the better ones to match, or, do you want the older style that won't fit or look quite as nice but you don't have to paint them.  That's the way the Scott Drake rep explained it to me.

If your originals are even remotely useable, try to fix the cracks and if you have to, apply a light coat of paint/dye.

I've been searching for an NOS or good original pair of white 65-6 convertible kick panels.  They are very difficult to find.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 08:26:51 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. 

I've been watching that pair on eBay  I'm guessing they are just some old repros that have been sitting around awhile--I have some of those already! 

And Charles, one of my originals (the one in the photo at the top of this thread) has a few minor cracks around the edges, probably fixable with some glue/matting or something on the back.  The other original has a 1/2" hole around one of the screw holes.  So, for that one it's either Scott Drake, or I need to check my other car to see if I can borrow from it--it's stored a little ways away and I haven't checked it yet.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:29:29 PM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 12:19:12 PM »
Gary, Have you contacted Bob Perkins to see if he has any NOS ones?

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 07:44:16 AM »
Gary, Have you contacted Bob Perkins to see if he has any NOS ones?

I'm afraid of what he might charge me! :o 

(although not a bad idea)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline EJackson

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 08:59:08 PM »
Gary,

I pulled my original kick panels out of storage to take a look at them. They are from my 65 Dearborn convertible with the 16A build date.

Was wondering why they didn't look like yours on the top edge; turns out that mine appear to have been cut at the top with a blade and straightedge. Not really clear from the picture but there are subtle gouges, flashing and an irregular edge (not perfectly straight). Never noticed it before.

Makes me wonder if they were supposed to be trimmed as part of the finishing process, and yours never were. If so, that makes them interesting if not rare, and something that wouldn't be duplicated by a reproduction.

Can anyone else confirm?

Ed.
1965 Convertible 5F08C600970
76A  P  29  16A  41  6  6
Prairie Bronze ext/Palomino int, black convertible top

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 09:35:48 PM »
Gary,

I pulled my original kick panels out of storage to take a look at them. They are from my 65 Dearborn convertible with the 16A build date.

Was wondering why they didn't look like yours on the top edge; turns out that mine appear to have been cut at the top with a blade and straightedge. Not really clear from the picture but there are subtle gouges, flashing and an irregular edge (not perfectly straight). Never noticed it before.

Makes me wonder if they were supposed to be trimmed as part of the finishing process, and yours never were. If so, that makes them interesting if not rare, and something that wouldn't be duplicated by a reproduction.

Can anyone else confirm?

Ed.

Might have just been a running change during production or a different supplier,
just a guess, correct me if I'm wrong.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »
Gary, I think you should jump on these!!! (NOT mine) I think they must be originals (possibly NOS) seller says they have been on his shelf for 20 years......I don't think anyone was reproducing them 20 years ago....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1965-MUSTANG-CONVERTIBLE-KICK-PANELS-BRIGHT-RED-NEW-C5ZZ-76023445DR-/270864671079?hash=item3f10cae167&item=270864671079&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I never like to comment on someone's eBay auction, but those kick panels are definitely reproductions.

BTW, reproduction kick panels have been around for probably almost 30 years, and there have been many manufacturers over the years.

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 01:31:28 PM »
There are definitely differences in the top cut out part of kick panels as shown in Gary's pictures.  This is a production (early vs. late) type of change.

Drake chose to make the later (late '65 (?)-all 66) ones.  As posted in another thread, the Drake ones are currently available in Black and White for both 65-66 Coupe/FB's and Convertibles.