Author Topic: gas neck rubber Hose  (Read 4364 times)

Offline saacman

gas neck rubber Hose
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:22:33 PM »
what should be concourse correct for a '66 March Shelby for the gas neck rubber hose.
I have what seems to be an original hose ( its all dry rotten and cracked but has no markings on it)
NPD discribes one - possible San Jose cars had Autolite with double red stripes ??? Any help grt8ly appreciated

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: gas neck rubber Hose
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »
The original would have been smooth with a slight texture.  Most originals I've seen have a single white/silver stripe running top to bottom.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline saacman

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »
thanks!!     thats kinda of what i thought we had '66 Shelby #324 years ago and it was an original low mileage car  and i remembered the gas neck having a faint white line on it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »
Couple of pictures of original hoses illustrating Charle's statement/observations

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 11:51:58 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  Think it should be mentioned that the stripe doesn't always run in the front.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline poboy427

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »
The original would have been smooth with a slight texture.  Most originals I've seen have a single white/silver stripe running top to bottom.

Would this be a single white OR silver stripe or a white line running parallel to silver line? Anyone with a more clear pic (off the car hose) that shows the detail a bit better?

Also were the SJ clamps always silver zinc or bare steel? I have seen Ford NOS service replacements that were zinc dichromate-gold.

Thanks Ray
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:39:56 PM by poboy427 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 03:53:58 PM »
Would this be a single white OR silver stripe or a white line running parallel to silver line? Anyone with a more clear pic (off the car hose) that shows the detail a bit better?

Unfortunately white and silver will look very close to one another - example coil ink stamps ;)

OK pulled the original off of 6S1203 and I believe the stripe was originally white. Of course over rubber and with age its a bit dull after these years. Will post a couple of pictures I hope will show the color well enough to communicate what I am seeing in person

Also were the SJ clamps always silver zinc or bare steel? I have seen Ford NOS service replacements that were zinc dichromate-gold.

Zinc has always been my experience Never saw a service replacement dichromated guess some sub-supplier some where made a few that got into the pipeline
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:57:26 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »
This picture is supposed to be a low mile San Jose car.  Whether it really is or not, this is the way I believed it was supposed to look when I restored my car.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 07:07:56 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures of the original from 6S1203

Jim/rockhouse66 the one you posted is the same car as I posted in the earlier post (lower picture) Believe that to be the original though that car had been tapped in the rear and the taillight panel repaired (notice that the filler neck looks painted) and the gas tank replaced 
Jeff Speegle

Offline poboy427

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 10:01:34 PM »
Thanks guys. I get the idea now on the stripe. Clamps natural,silver or gold?

Ray

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 10:18:28 PM »
Thanks guys. I get the idea now on the stripe. Clamps natural,silver or gold?

"silver"  may be zinc or galvanized - never tested them
Jeff Speegle

Offline poboy427

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 05:02:54 AM »
The pair of zinc dichromate gold clamps that I saw on E-Bay were NOS service replacements in blue Ford bag, probably out of mid to late 90's.  I passed cuz silver is all I have ever seen. Mine are pretty much down to bare steel after being cleaned up with steel wool. So off to the zinc silver bag I'm stockpiling to be sent out. Not a whole lot of gold zinc being used back in early '66 on the Mustang.

Ray

Offline Road Reptile

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 06:38:33 PM »
Hi,
May I suggest checking out the services offered section.There is a website listed and he offers this hose for later Mustangs.
 R.R.

Offline poboy427

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 05:25:33 PM »
If you look at Jeff's pics you will see that when the stripe was put on the hose the roller that painted the stripe also left serrations in the rubber. Envision the outside (backside) of a nylon wire tie. These serrations remained in the rubber.If you run your finger nail down the stripe you can feel them. Just a way to spot an original vs one that has been striped by hand.

Before running a restored original hose consider this. These hoses crack from the inside out and overall get very brittle. External cracks are visible only after the inside has several visible cracks.  I would hold one to the light or stick a flashlight down into it (no Bic lights guys) to see the loss of integrity. Then safety become the issue. Kind of like running 50 yr old rubber brake lines that have been re-striped and sold on e-bay as restored.

But I agree with Saacman in going replacement if NOS is not available to consider. Scott Drake makes a double stripe repo with Autolite wording??? I've not held one in my hand to look it over. Drake also has a plain hose that obviously is not the right texture or material to OEM. Also Dan Carpenter makes one but I have not seen a pic yet of his offering.

Ray
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:40:11 PM by poboy427 »