Author Topic: 65/66 mustang hardware question  (Read 1101 times)

Offline poboy427

65/66 mustang hardware question
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »
I'm in the process of buffing hardware and getting it ready for vibratory cleaning before I send it our for proper finishing. Some pitted hardware will need to be sourced here and there where I can find OEM, used but nice, pieces. I would like to avoid AMK replacement hardware when I can. Is there a site dedicated to identifying OEM head markings and correct finish. Hopefully with pics? I realize there are going to be some differences between the 3 assembly plants. SJ is the built plant on my Nov 65 built car.

Ray

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: 65/66 mustang hardware question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:40 PM »
It's ironic that you want to avoid AMK fasteners because THE source for the bolts you need and pictures of them will be the AMK Books.  You will need the Osborne assembly manuals which call out mark numbers or part numbers for the right bolt for every location.

Then you will need BOTH of the AMK catalogs to look up those bolts and find out which page the photo of it is shown.

66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65/66 mustang hardware question
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 09:44:26 PM »
Not aware of any site where someone (or many) have taken the time to study and post (after surely thousands of hours) all the head markings by plant and production period for the Mustang. Most of the time these efforts spring out of an individuals need so this might be your opportunity ;)  Might be able to get a site up in five or so years

AMK tends to focus on the size and thread of the original hardware as well as original finish when possible (not every bolt is in production right now) if the head markings happen to match the original design he got lucky. Most of the time IMHO it only happens about 30% of the time for San Jose cars - and not every bolt and piece of hardware is being produced.

Best source is a parts or donor car from the same plant and time. Its always surprised me that Mustanger's and those restoring cars from the 60-70's rarely purchase a parts car for their restoration where that was a common practice of those restoring the 30-50's cars. When our cars were plentiful in yards we would typically take a day and strip on or two cars of all the bolts we could before any trip to the platters than pick through the plated stuff, choose the best for your project and either save or sell the rest to another.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)