Author Topic: Completed my Dearborn 1966 Sprint today  (Read 4350 times)

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Completed my Dearborn 1966 Sprint today
« on: February 18, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »
Well purchased the car in May of 2009 for a restoration project(probably should have been scrapped). Now almost 4 years later and a few $ I took it for a spin today. A few minor details to finish.
Dave

PS Thanks to everyone on this site for the help they gave me on this restoration, either in parts or information, especially Jeff Speegle with the info he had on original 6 cylinder cars. It was pretty hard to come by otherwise. This site is awesome.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:07:21 PM by Twilight65 »
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline Ivygreen65

Re: Completed my Dearborn 1966 Sprint today
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:30:14 PM »
Beautiful car, Dave.  If you're like me, you will wind up putting MANY more miles on it than you ever thought you would when you were restoring it.

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:35:44 PM »
Looks great Dave, what an accomplishment! I hope to be there in a couple of months myself, purchased May 2008 - Road ready May 2013.

Great Job,
Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:19:16 PM »
That sure is purty!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »
GREAT JOB!!!!!!!! VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

What did you end up doing with the top boot storage bag that you sent me to have duplicated? you going to use it as is?
 -seems to me that your car is early '66 production at Dearborn plant....

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:19:50 AM »
Fantastic job Dave, she looks absolutely stunning, I'm sure you're real proud. Enjoy :)
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:41:42 PM »
What did you end up doing with the top boot storage bag that you sent me to have duplicated? you going to use it as is?
 -seems to me that your car is early '66 production at Dearborn plant....
Hey Rick, got the boot bag in the trunk( the new one you sent), also installed the rawhide strip you gave me for the brass zipper. Thanks again for that stuff
Dave

Offline sparky65

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 09:54:14 PM »
looks beautiful!  Really like the color.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 10:02:38 AM »
Hey Rick, got the boot bag in the trunk( the new one you sent), also installed the rawhide strip you gave me for the brass zipper. Thanks again for that stuff
Dave

Hey, You are most welcome Dave!  I don't have alot of folks question my boot storage bag at shows, and when they do I tell them exactly how I came to have it.

Some of our experts believe that using the convertible top material is incorrect, and that "most" of the original bags found have been made from comon seat type vinyl, but I personally like mine and feel that with Ford back in the day anything was possible!

Does your '66 have the strap in the center of the rear top bow for the holding up of the rear window?
MY LATE July, 1965 from Dearborn "should" have the snap & strap, but the whole top frame was replaced from a car from October 1964 Dearborn with NO strap or snap....

Drop me a pm if you want, Thanks AGAIN for the ues of your original boot bag!-Rick

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »

Some of our experts believe that using the convertible top material is incorrect, and that "most" of the original bags found have been made from common seat type vinyl, but I personally like mine and feel that with Ford back in the day anything was possible!

Does your '66 have the strap in the center of the rear top bow for the holding up of the rear window?
MY LATE July, 1965 from Dearborn "should" have the snap & strap, but the whole top frame was replaced from a car from October 1964 Dearborn with NO strap or snap....

The guy I purchased the car from in 2009 had just bought it from a gal that owned it since 1968. With the exception of the interior the car was very original. She passed away in 2011 but I have been in contact with her son who has been following the restoration. He gave me a lot of paperwork and pictures he had collected over the years. I didn't have much experience with convertibles but with the history he gave me and the condition of the bag I believe it was original. As far as the strap mine did have the snap in the rear bow. but strap was missing. Following another thread on this forum I found the correct material for the strap and made a new one (have extra if someone needs one). My convertible top guy sewed it in for me.
Dave

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 01:27:16 AM »

Dave!  Congrats!! 

Your results match your efforts!  You should be proud!

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 01:50:49 AM »

PS: I see some color matched Pony Floor mats and possibly a 6cyl Color matched Low Profile rally-pac in the car's future!   Dave, Is that your original CLEAR Fomoco windshield, or did you order a new one from somewhere else? If so, Where?   Also, I see you also used your original 1966 Fuel pump.  Did you get a rebuild kit for it somewhere??  If so, Where?  The original 1966 Fuel pumps work great, but they are notorious for leaking if not rebuilt. Rebuild kits for the pumps are hard to find.  Mine still works great and does not leak, but I would like to rebuild it if I were to ever put it back in the car again.  For now, I use the 1967 "Sealed" style CARTER pump.

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 09:05:59 AM »
PS: I see some color matched Pony Floor mats and possibly a 6cyl Color matched Low Profile rally-pac in the car's future!   

Just purchased an original low profile rally pac waiting for it's arrival

Dave, Is that your original CLEAR Fomoco windshield, or did you order a new one from somewhere else? If so, Where?

It's the original clear Carlite

I see you also used your original 1966 Fuel pump.  Did you get a rebuild kit for it somewhere??  If so, Where?

I purchased a NOS pump, I know it will probably not last long so will have to investigate getting a rebuild kit. I originally had installled a sealed pump but after some research purchased the correct pump to have car concours correct.

I plan to have it at the Indy Show, thanks for the comments, also just finished making a window sticker for display
Dave

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 02:17:06 PM »
The guy I purchased the car from in 2009 had just bought it from a gal that owned it since 1968. With the exception of the interior the car was very original. She passed away in 2011 but I have been in contact with her son who has been following the restoration. He gave me a lot of paperwork and pictures he had collected over the years. I didn't have much experience with convertibles but with the history he gave me and the condition of the bag I believe it was original. As far as the strap mine did have the snap in the rear bow. but strap was missing. Following another thread on this forum I found the correct material for the strap and made a new one (have extra if someone needs one). My convertible top guy sewed it in for me.
Dave

Dave, I'd love to have an accurate looking strap.......I wouldn't expect you to just give me one....I'd just borrow it and have my upholstery guy make me a couple.....Also could you please take a couple of pictures of your strap installed and also the snap-where its located.....I'm assuming its centered??  Thanks Again, & Again BEUTIFUL CAR, GREAT JOB!!

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 02:21:15 PM »
Tony, I would think that Fred Ballard could rebuild a seald pump along with the V8 versions he does out in CA.

I also think with some looking that folks that have the screw together pumps CAN find rebuild kits designed to work with todays crappy gasoline that has Ethinol of some % in it.