Author Topic: Fastback air vent caulking  (Read 1341 times)

Offline petersixtfive

Fastback air vent caulking
« on: February 10, 2013, 06:51:10 AM »
Just wondering if someone could tell me what type of caulking or sealer would have been used for a sj June 65 fastback upper air vent panel
This is the exterior body coloured die cast piece that mounts to the upper quarter panel.
It also has the 5 chrome bezels mounted in to it
Also another question regarding the KH disc brake pad retainer what finish wold this have been and also what finish would the calliper itself be
Thanks
65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Fastback air vent caulking
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 10:27:24 PM »
Don't recall every seeing chalking around the rear vent opening (top the vent) Any water that seeps through travels to the holes in the base of the opening - to the tray and down the drain

None of my pictures have the left overs of chalking on the body at that location
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:32:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »
I removed my rear vents last year (San Jose Oct 65 build) and there was no calking or sealant of any type. There was a piece of tape that covered the top edge to the body though. The slider panel had a bunch of sealer on all of its edges which appears to be where Ford placed the water barrier. Your 65 Fastback should have a hose from a tray under the vent to allow accumulated water a path out of the car.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 05:16:03 AM »
Thanks Jeff and Jim
Jim could you elaborate on the tape that you mentioned ie type and more about where it was attached
I ams still considering a small bead of non hardening sealer that won't be seen so as to keep moisture, dust etc out
Regards
65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:45:39 AM »
I tried to replicate what I found on my SJ car and here is what I did;

Jim
'66 GT FB