Author Topic: Disc Brake Proportioning Valve Color  (Read 3649 times)

Offline 6S280

Disc Brake Proportioning Valve Color
« on: February 02, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »
I am working on an early '66 SJ car (10/65) and looking for suggestions on good rattle can paint to match the grey color of the disc brake proportioning valve.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Disc Brake Proportioning Valve Color
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 05:28:56 PM »
Here are pictures of four NOS valves with different shades of gray (could be a catchy book title) so you may have some leeway in your selection. Note the gold zinc finish on the lock nuts. I think that after installation, there may have been engine compartment sealant overspray on the valve. I don't remember where the pictures came from, probably from this forum, so thanks to who ever took them and posted them.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 07:14:26 PM »
#2 and #4 are probably closest to what I have seen on originals.  Looks like a primer gray.  Strange color, wonder why it was picked.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
The one on my 9/65 SJ car still had some of the original paint left and it was pretty light gray, like #2 above.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:37:47 PM »
Yep, has a slight tinge of blue, but otherwise light gray.  The NOS one that I had that was supposedly a bucket quality control item was semi-gloss also.  There was a guy selling these who claimed his uncle or some relative worked at Kelsey-Hayes and pulled one out of however many to do quality checks.  They got dropped in a bucket and the relative lunch-pailed them.  Have no idea if the story is true, but I did buy a couple of them for a reasonable price, they looked and worked fantastic.

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 12:02:55 AM »
The NOS one that I had that was supposedly a bucket quality control item was semi-gloss also.

its still in your possesion. third shelf left hand side of storage bunker..  good luck with that.
its a very nice example, that will be put to god use

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:03:17 AM »
its still in your possesion. third shelf left hand side of storage bunker..  good luck with that.
its a very nice example, that will be put to god use

Hehe, totally forgot!  Glad it will go to good use!

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »
What is the final color as installed? Do proportioning valves get any sealant or paint overspray? What about 65-66 Shelby valves? And as long as we're at it, the color of the master cylinder?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »
What is the final color as installed? Do proportioning valves get any sealant or paint overspray? What about 65-66 Shelby valves? And as long as we're at it, the color of the master cylinder?
Jim

It's that light gray color, have never figured out a paint code, usually just mix up something custom whenever I need it.

Yes, brakes were installed prior to sealant spray on firewall, so it is possible for the prop valve to have a varying amount.  Shelby that used a stock brake setup would most likely be exactly the same.  Master cylinder would be black as well as the cap except starting in '66 when the decal started to be used on disc brake cars.  Regular drum brake master cylinders continued to be black, cap and all.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:00:43 PM »
Still trying to nail down the decal usage (if they were applied or not - though current accept them on later cars)

Start if the usage (as listed in the TSBs) was March 26, 66
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 08:51:42 PM »
It's that light gray color, have never figured out a paint code, usually just mix up something custom whenever I need it.

Yes, brakes were installed prior to sealant spray on firewall, so it is possible for the prop valve to have a varying amount.  Shelby that used a stock brake setup would most likely be exactly the same.  Master cylinder would be black as well as the cap except starting in '66 when the decal started to be used on disc brake cars.  Regular drum brake master cylinders continued to be black, cap and all.
Thanks Charles, the question was asked to advise a 66 Shelby owner that the proportioning valve was not painted black.
Jim

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 03:44:48 PM »
Sorry to bring up an old topic but just want to confirm the color of the valve should be that grayish blue color on a San Jose car with a build date of 06/03/1965.  Rebuilding the valve now and figure I'd ask the color.  I saw on Virginia Mustangs blog their valve was black so figured I'd ask what was seen around this time if maybe there is an unrestored pic around that time frame..

Thanks
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 05:33:25 PM »
Sorry to bring up an old topic but just want to confirm the color of the valve should be that grayish blue color on a San Jose car with a build date of 06/03/1965.  Rebuilding the valve now and figure I'd ask the color.  I saw on Virginia Mustangs blog their valve was black so figured I'd ask what was seen around this time if maybe there is an unrestored pic around that time frame..

For your application the battle ship grey would be correct. The black painted version would be for most (not all ) of the Shelby applications in 65.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)