Author Topic: 1966 with 26A code interior  (Read 5851 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1966 with 26A code interior
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 12:02:10 AM »
If the seats were replaced with original ones from another 66 they would look original to your car.

It depends on your plans for the car, if you are trying to be concours correct in everyway then
go with the smooth 26A trim. You have something unique with the trim code, IMO would be nice
to keep it that way but be prepared, everyone is going to say you have 65 seats in your 66 but
then you can come back and explain the trim code, bet most people wouldn't know about it.

Guess I would have to disagree with that.  The only thing we know about the 'A' at the end of an interior code is that it stands for a "deviation" from the normal configuration.  I'm not aware of any documentation that says a '66 coupe with std. interior and an A deviation had to have smooth seats.  Also, not sure if everyone is aware, but there are '65 cars at the end of production that also had deviation codes.

I would strongly disagree with any judge that saw fit to deduct for this car not having smooth seats, that would be totally wrong as they have no way to prove what the deviation was for.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »
Guess I would have to disagree with that.  The only thing we know about the 'A' at the end of an interior code is that it stands for a "deviation" from the normal configuration.  I'm not aware of any documentation that says a '66 coupe with std. interior and an A deviation had to have smooth seats.  Also, not sure if everyone is aware, but there are '65 cars at the end of production that also had deviation codes.

I would strongly disagree with any judge that saw fit to deduct for this car not having smooth seats, that would be totally wrong as they have no way to prove what the deviation was for.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you, according to the Ford Parts Master catalog
in the 66 Mustang soft trim section the trim codes are explained like this:

26     Black crinkle vinyl and black rosette pattern vinyl  (used on body 63A, 65A, 76A)

26A   Black crinkle all vinyl  (used on body 65A, 76A)

Interesting that they don't show the 26A for a fastback (63A)
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 10:42:46 AM »
I will have to respectfully disagree with you, according to the Ford Parts Master catalog
in the 66 Mustang soft trim section the trim codes are explained like this:

26     Black crinkle vinyl and black rosette pattern vinyl  (used on body 63A, 65A, 76A)

26A   Black crinkle all vinyl  (used on body 65A, 76A)

Interesting that they don't show the 26A for a fastback (63A)

I don't believe the MPC tells the whole story on this.  Turnall's car isn't the first I have heard of with the deviation interior code and having rosette inserts.

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 10:57:18 AM »
I don't believe the MPC tells the whole story on this.  Turnall's car isn't the first I have heard of with the deviation interior code and having rosette inserts.

Charles, I was going on the info I have, maybe that was Ford's intention to start with then things changed,
sounds like you have heard otherwise, I stand corrected.
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 11:09:17 AM »
Charles, I was going on the info I have, maybe that was Ford's intention to start with then things changed,
sounds like you have heard otherwise, I stand corrected.

I don't intend to get into an argument over the matter.  I would suggest looking at all of the interior trim codes for '66 and also look at '65.  All the 'A' means is there was a deviation.  Sometimes Ford called it out what the deviation is, sometimes they didn't.  On the ones that it's called out, it could be the most common deviation for that code, although I don't believe it is all-inclusive.  So, you are right that it can mean smooth vinyl, but it doesn't have to be.

Unfortunately, the Jan '66 MPC makes no notation of any deviation codes, so even at that point, the data was incomplete.

Wish it was cut and dry, would make things a lot easier!

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 11:43:56 AM »
I don't intend to get into an argument over the matter.  I would suggest looking at all of the interior trim codes for '66 and also look at '65.  All the 'A' means is there was a deviation.  Sometimes Ford called it out what the deviation is, sometimes they didn't.  On the ones that it's called out, it could be the most common deviation for that code, although I don't believe it is all-inclusive.  So, you are right that it can mean smooth vinyl, but it doesn't have to be.

Unfortunately, the Jan '66 MPC makes no notation of any deviation codes, so even at that point, the data was incomplete.

Wish it was cut and dry, would make things a lot easier!

Thanks, I appreciate the info.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:53:39 PM by C5ZZ »
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 10:31:41 PM »

Yes, Code "26A" on the Door Data Plate Denotes a "Deviation" which usually indicates the leftover '65 smooth vinyl inserts.   Your seats do look original however and the covers look to be original Ford, though I have never seen that Shamrock marking from a vendor.  What plant is your car from?  What is the Scheduled Build Date on the tag?  On the Bottom Front Side of the Bottom Original Seat buns in the crevas, There will be either a Black or Red Factory stamp dating.  You need to see if that date on both bottom seat buns corresponds to the date 3-4 weeks that your car was built.. If not, Someone swapped all the seats in the car at some time.. That would not be uncommon at all...especially if a PO had multiple '66 mustangs or found better original upholstered seats somewhere else...I did this myself on quite a few car in the 1980's..(Yes, guilty..lol).  If the dates do match within the scheduled build date of your car, The mystery will only get bigger, but you won't know for sure until you get to see your bottom seat buns on both seats..

Happy Investigating..

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Registry
MCA#70001

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 10:44:10 PM »

Yes, Charles is right.. The "Deviation" could have meant other things having to do with the seats, not just the inserts....But it's usually the inserts switched to smooth vinyl I have found.  Bob Perkins has a mint '66 Hardtop with this deviation code.  My own father's '66 Sprint 200 Convertible also had the "26A" code and he had Smooth Black Vinyl inserts like '65..

But like Charles said, It's not cut and dry, but it usually means "Smooth vinyl" inserts IMHO... but it could really mean any change on the seats...not just the inserts, but a change to something else..sometimes not known..

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Registry
MCA#70001

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001