Author Topic: 1966 with 26A code interior  (Read 5850 times)

Offline Turnall

1966 with 26A code interior
« on: January 17, 2013, 10:04:16 PM »
Is the 26A code a "slick" vinyl interior?  My Mustang actually has what I would call a "rough" or the rosette vinyl on both front seats and the back seat.  Should it have the smooth vinyl?  I have to replace it and want to make sure i do it correctly as the code says....

Thanks,

Allen

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1966 with 26A code interior
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:19:22 AM »
From what I understand, the 'A' means there was a deviation from the normal interior code configuration.  Have seen a handful of '66 coupes with the 'A' and most are the smooth vinyl on the seats.

Are you sure the seat covers are the originals?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Turnall

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 01:07:32 AM »
No.  I don't know if they are original.   I have read that the 26A means it does not have the rosette and was actually "left over" 65 upholstery.  Was hoping I could get a definitive answer on the 26A being the "slick" upholstery.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 08:50:40 AM »
No.  I don't know if they are original.   I have read that the 26A means it does not have the rosette and was actually "left over" 65 upholstery.  Was hoping I could get a definitive answer on the 26A being the "slick" upholstery.

It's not possible to get a definitive answer since the deviation could be something other than deleting the rosette pattern.  Most typically, when we see a deviation on standard interior '66 coupes, it usually points to rosette delete on the seats. 

You might start looking around the interior to see if there is anything else out of the norm and something that could be reasonably considered as original.

Should be relatively easy to determine if the seat covers you have are original.

Offline Turnall

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:21:11 AM »
Thanks Charles.  This is the 1st 1966 I've owned.  Not sure if i would know a deviation from standard if it was staring me in the face.  Do you or others have a list of known deviation denoted by the 26A that may speed up my search process? 

The seats do "look" original to me.  I feel certain the upholstery is original to the seats, and it appears that the seats are original to the car.

Your help is appreciated.

Allen

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 10:20:35 AM »
You'd have to post some pics of the seats, especially areas that show the piping and stitching.  Keep in mind that ready-made seat covers have been on the market since the 80's.  You could have a 30 year old set of repro covers that could mistakenly appear as original.

I am only aware of a couple interior deviations for '66.  Those are standard interior coupes having rosette delete on the seats and deluxe interior coupes with variance in the rear quarter trim panel upholstery (no stitch line vs. stitch line)

Ford didn't do a very good job of documenting this.

If you rule out your seats being the deviation, then I'm afraid it will be very difficult to determine what was different on your car.

Offline Turnall

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 08:45:33 PM »
Here are some pictures of the seats.  Please advise if more are needed and what specifically.  Thanks

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »
One easy way to check the front seats is to look where the seat tracks
bolt on, original Ford covers have fabric at the edge of the covers which
is under the tracks where repro covers don't have the fabric so the
cover vinyl would be under the seat track.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline Turnall

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 09:39:38 PM »
If i understand your explanation correctly, this seat has fabric under the track....

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 09:50:40 PM »
They look like they might be original covers, but couldn't say 100% for sure.  On the back of the vinyl is typically some sort of date code of when the vinyl was made.  It will be random, rear covers probably easier to find.

Wish I had more info to help.  Best advice I could give at this point is don't throw anything away during the restoration.  You might be able to figure out if there's something different.

Also, there's always the possibility that the covers were swapped when the car was new. 

Offline Turnall

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
I already had one of the front seat covers off of the seat.  On the inside I have the following numbers stamped in black ink:

Right hand side of inside cover:

C67B65 (and a 3 leaf clover symbol)
1025-M 97

Left side of inside cover:

7005A
3 16 (a square with a V in it) BLVC

Allen

Offline Turnall

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 10:08:49 PM »
Pictures...

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 10:13:10 PM »
Thats original Ford upholstery.

Maybe the seats were changed out sometime by a PO
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline Turnall

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 10:22:23 PM »
I guess it's impossible to know if the seats were ever changed.  They really seemed to be original to the car as far as the rust and such was concerned.  My only other question is what to go back with?

Again, thanks for all the information.  I didn't realize there was this much to learn... 8)

Allen

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 10:33:55 PM »
I guess it's impossible to know if the seats were ever changed.  They really seemed to be original to the car as far as the rust and such was concerned.  My only other question is what to go back with?

Again, thanks for all the information.  I didn't realize there was this much to learn... 8)

Allen

If the seats were replaced with original ones from another 66 they would look original to your car.

It depends on your plans for the car, if you are trying to be concours correct in everyway then
go with the smooth 26A trim. You have something unique with the trim code, IMO would be nice
to keep it that way but be prepared, everyone is going to say you have 65 seats in your 66 but
then you can come back and explain the trim code, bet most people wouldn't know about it.
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior