Author Topic: 4-speed '66--Plugging Original C4 Speedometer Hole?  (Read 11087 times)

Offline rockhouse66

Re: 4-speed '66--Plugging Original C4 Speedometer Hole?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 08:59:48 PM »
Well I'm getting lost as to the location but it sounds like if it were there, it would be seen in this picture.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 09:52:15 PM »
Yep, the hole is there in your pic, the brake line is in front of the middle of it.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 09:55:18 PM »
Thanks Charles. So the hole in the tunnel is the 4-speed speedo cable hole and the one under the brake line was for C4/3-speed cars and should be plugged?
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »
Thanks Charles. So the hole in the tunnel is the 4-speed speedo cable hole and the one under the brake line was for C4/3-speed cars and should be plugged?

Yep, that's right... at least what I have seen so far.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 10:57:11 PM »
Back to the 4 speed hole in Metuchen cars...I had my Jan 6 1966 car on the lift today and examined the area in question: there definitely never was a hole for the speedo cable in that area.  My car originally (I think) came with a T-10, but now has a toploader.  I wonder...since there were two different 4 speeds in 65/66, if the hole is toploader specific or not...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 11:51:30 PM »
I thought my Oct '65 Metuchen car (T10 4spd), only had the tunnel hole. While in the garage today I double checked. Whatta ya know? A plugged C4 hole!
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
Back to the 4 speed hole in Metuchen cars...I had my Jan 6 1966 car on the lift today and examined the area in question: there definitely never was a hole for the speedo cable in that area.  My car originally (I think) came with a T-10, but now has a toploader.  I wonder...since there were two different 4 speeds in 65/66, if the hole is toploader specific or not...

Randy:  Your car had quite a bit of rust repair didn't it?  I wonder if a previous repair to the toe-panel area on the driver side might have been done around where the hole would be?

Incidentally, the photo I posted previously was also of a Jan '66 Metuchen GT fastback originally with a 4 speed.

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 12:39:03 AM »
Incidentally, the photo I posted previously was also of a Jan '66 Metuchen GT fastback originally with a 4 speed.

Charles is that the car you had mentioned sometime back about possibly doing another resto blog on?
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 01:42:43 AM »
Charles is that the car you had mentioned sometime back about possibly doing another resto blog on?

Possibly, not sure!

That car is painted, awaiting assembly.  Trying to finish putting together a red '65 convertible at the present.  The '66 is next.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 07:26:57 AM »
Randy:  Your car had quite a bit of rust repair didn't it?  I wonder if a previous repair to the toe-panel area on the driver side might have been done around where the hole would be?

Isn't the 4 speed hole in the transmission hump?  That's the area I was checking.  And all of my sheet metal replacement was via patching, not full panel replacements.  The tranny hump did not need any repairs for rust.   My speedo cable did have the foam rubber insert and when I bought the car in 1998, the speedo cable came through what every one is calling the C4 hole in the firewall.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 11:06:11 AM »
Isn't the 4 speed hole in the transmission hump?  That's the area I was checking.  And all of my sheet metal replacement was via patching, not full panel replacements.  The tranny hump did not need any repairs for rust.   My speedo cable did have the foam rubber insert and when I bought the car in 1998, the speedo cable came through what every one is calling the C4 hole in the firewall.

Yes, it's in the transmission hump, to the right of the gas pedal.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 11:27:25 AM »

If you look at the post made by rockhouse with the image above, you will see a brake line running vertically in front of the firewall.  Where the firewall starts to turn down, there is a hole with the brake line sitting right in front of it, that's the hole we are referring to.  Another point of orientation... there are 2 screw holes for where the front parking brake cable bracket attaches to the firewall.  The hole is right above that.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 11:31:01 AM »
Pic showing hole circled in red....

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
Sorry if I'm making this more confusing, but here's a shot of where the speedometer comes through on my 4-speed '66.  You can see the 4-speed cable coming through on the transmission tunnel, to the right of the gas pedal.

4-speed hole:

[/URL]

This is the C4 automatic/3-speed hole:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:14:02 PM by drummingrocks »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 12:15:45 PM »
Sorry if I'm making this more confusing, but here's a shot of where the speedometer comes through on my 4-speed '66.  You can see the 4-speed cable coming through on the transmission tunnel, to the right of the gas pedal.

I guess you know that cable goes behind the carpet and not through it???