Author Topic: Grill,Rocker Mouldings,Rear Honeycomb Panel Colour  (Read 10234 times)

Offline jatkinson

Grill,Rocker Mouldings,Rear Honeycomb Panel Colour
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:29:44 PM »
I have to paint the rocker panel mouldings on my 70 Mach 1. I have been told that F6AZ-19K207-AA which is changed up to PM-19K207-AA is the correct colour from Ford in a spray can? The grill and honey comb panel at the back are a dark gray almost black. I've seen both? What colour is everything supposed to be? I've seen pictures of an untouched car and it looks like everything is the same colour. HELP!
1970 Metuchen Mach1 Medium Red 351C 4v Auto PB Shaker Black Interior

Offline jatkinson

Re: Grill,Rocker Mouldings,Rear Honeycomb Panel Colour
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 10:57:01 AM »
Anybody?

Offline 70qcode

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »
Hi:

I think this thread from the 428CJ forum should provide you with the help you require.

http://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php/topic,18332.0.html

I've not seen the honeycomb panel included in the list of parts that are painted the color of the rocker panels. The parts I have seen included, all of which are painted a sort of medium gray color, are:
Rocker panels
Grille
lower grille molding
headlamp surrounds
sport lamp surrounds

There is also a small section on the stainless molding that mounts around the headlamps which requires this paint as well I believe, since it contacts the lower grille molding.

Hope this helps...
Neil

Offline rayms69

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »
grill and honeycomb panel is plastic not painted, someone here knows exact paint code for other parts ditzler/ppg #s
10-26-1969 Dearborn 428 SCJ auto

Offline jatkinson

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 03:42:35 PM »
I'm not sure but  anything I can find it looks like the grill is painted the same colour as the rocker? I don't know about the honeycomb panel?

Offline rayms69

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »
Argent is on the moulding, have u tried the search function. I know this has been talked about, I doubt the grill is painted. Paint doesn't really go well with plastic.

Offline jatkinson

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »

Offline rayms69

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »
I would search this forum or vintage Mustang forums for the correct answers, but I still don't think the plastic pieces are painted, if haves the original plastic pieces from my 70 and they are NOT painted.

Offline jatkinson

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »
Here is another post. http://mustangsandmore.com/pages/Boss_and_Mach_Info.html  I have my grill and headlight surround's pulled off the car and I agree mine have the  stamping number on them and appear to have not been painted and they are black just like yours are.  The guy that I bought the car off of in 95 lead me to believe he painted everything black because he liked it better than gray. He did tell me he replaced the grill and surrounds with NOS parts and I didn't know if they came black when ordered through parts back then and had to be repainted?  But that being said it was along time ago and I might not be recalling it right. I've had a couple of emails from guys with untouched cars and theres are gray. But mine are black and yours are black? All the research I have done points to them being gray, infact I can't find anything in print that says they are supposed to be black? The post I started on Vintage also leads me to think they are gray? I'm just looking for some help on finding out for sure.  Thanks

Offline rayms69

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:35:56 PM »
Not sure why no one else has chimed in, I know the original grill trim piece has a gray/silver paint towards the inside, probably the light argent, I have NOS sport lamp grill, if I were to paint , it would look like dogshit.  Same goes for the honeycomb panel. I read through that link, the painting of the black is referring to black painted on body to hide car color in gaps that are not covered by honeycomb panel, rocker mouldings and headlight surrounds. If u didn't paint these areas the body color would shine like the sun and look bad, I have original paint on my car. The area under the honeycomb looks like it was taped and painted neatly, the areas under rocker mouldings looks brushed on. I have seen guys on the 428cobrajet forum brushed in the headlight buckets. If u do paint your grill, post some pics. If its a show car, u should really get Jeff or ed meters or some other real pro to lead u/us on the correct path my Mustang brotha.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:54:47 PM by rayms69 »

Offline jatkinson

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 12:14:39 PM »
I'm with you. I haven't painted anything. If I'm understanding you correctly you have an untouched car? Mine is not. Although everything that was done was to it was 25 years ago, you are still one up on me. So although as of yesterday I thought I was painting, I'm not. I'll leave it as is other than the rockers unless I find out different..Thanks for your help

Offline rayms69

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 01:18:39 PM »
use the search function here and vintage mustang, do a lot of reading and you will find paint codes/advice from these discussions here. This subject has been covered many times. Thats what i have done, probably why no ones chiming in. These forums are great for info, thats how i learn. Mustang monthly is a great source and wont lead u astray. there are pics of the blackout behind the panels which look like the ones on mine. Good luck.

Offline craig429

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 04:46:53 PM »
The honey comb panel is not be be painted.

As fair as I can tell the grill is to be painted on Mach1's. You would want to use a plastic adhesion promotor.
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.
1969 Mustang Mach1 390
1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen

Offline rayms69

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 11:59:57 PM »
I wanted to dredge this up again, so is the grill painted light argent on a 70 mach 1, dearborn 10-20-69. my original honeycomb panel was not painted, my original grill was missing, have an NOS no paint. I think you are probably right craig429.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:04:09 AM by rayms69 »

Offline jatkinson

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 05:00:07 PM »
 After alot of searching, and as far as I can find out the headlight surrounds were black, as are the replacement ones and were painted at the factory. The grill and sport lamp surrounds were gray. When the car left the factory the grill and both surrounds were gray. The same gray as the rocker mouldings. I got the paint from NPD. Finished doing the grill, headlight surrounds, sport lamp surrounds. Came out great. I'm going to start on the rockers next.