Author Topic: 351C Engine hooks  (Read 3399 times)

Offline 70Twister

351C Engine hooks
« on: January 09, 2013, 09:11:59 PM »
should the engine hooks on my 351C be painted or not painted? When I bead blasted them they looked halfway painted. Do I paint engine before the exhaust manifolds go on or after? Thanks
70Twister
351C Dearborn Build date 10/13/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 351C Engine hooks
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »
Painted off the engine by the provider  color often does not match Ford blue but somewhat like Pontiac Teal
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »
Heres my Dearborn built 70 Mach 1 lift hooks with the original factory Dark Corporate Ford Blue paint. I took these off many years ago to make it easier to change plugs. It appears they were dipped not sprayed as many parts were to lower costs. I think dipping is the way to go on certain parts if you want that authentic look. But who would see the factory runs anyways ? The one hook still has a Y shaped assembly line mark on it.

Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline 70Twister

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:06:54 PM »
Thanks! I see in the pics that one of your hooks with the Y on it, looks like a 351W hook and the other a 351C hook.  Both of my hooks look the same as the 351C hook! :-\ ? This is my first 351C that I have done soo I'm having to do my homework and I need all the help I can get!
70Twister
351C Dearborn Build date 10/13/69

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:27:33 PM »
Nope..... they came off my 70 351C that I've owned since 9/73. Don't know why one is different than the other but thats what was on my car when I purchased it with 19,000 miles on it. The bolt hole spacing is the same though in the pic it looks a bit off. These would not fit a 351W due to the bigger exhaust ports on the Cleveland.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:30:39 PM by ClevelandKid »
Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:00:29 PM »
Off subject just a little but here are a set of 35W ones installed

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:29:44 AM »
Ah memories. This is a bit off topic, but I used one of those hooks to make an adapter to mount a 61 VW bus transaxle, the type with the reductions gears mounted at the wheel end of the axle, to a 60 VW Beetle Baja. The hook came from my 69 Sportsroof with a 351W (4V, 4sp). We needed something quick and dirty and the hook was available. We needed to drill a couple of holes to get it to fit but it worked like a charm. I remember the date well, it was July 20, 1969. Our task was interuppted when my buddy's wife called us in to watch Neil Armstrong take "that step".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:06:57 PM »
Jeff, Have you got a photo of a Cleveland or Windsor lift hook with original paint other than corporate Blue? MCA guidelines have been Boss 429 and Boss 302 only(light Blue)which were from same vendor and more limited production compared to Cleveland and Windsor motors. Most Boss 302 were painted on the Motor after they were painted the lighter blue from the supplier and you see the lighter blue on the back side and below the manifold mask used during painting of motor. We may need to rethink this if you anyone else have photos to document.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »
Jeff, Have you got a photo of a Cleveland or Windsor lift hook with original paint other than corporate Blue? MCA guidelines have been Boss 429 and Boss 302 only(light Blue)which were from same vendor and more limited production compared to Cleveland and Windsor motors. Most Boss 302 were painted on the Motor after they were painted the lighter blue from the supplier and you see the lighter blue on the back side and below the manifold mask used during painting of motor. We may need to rethink this if you anyone else have photos to document.

I'll start digging and find or take a picture
Jeff Speegle