Author Topic: What is the correct radiator for my car (SJ 68 J code with A/C)  (Read 2907 times)

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
What is the correct radiator for my car (SJ 68 J code with A/C)
« on: December 26, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
I am looking for info regarding the correct radiator for my car.

I have a/c, and auto, and p/s. I also have top and bottom radiator clamps which i believe are only found in 24inch radiator cars? I do not know if they are original, but they do look old.

Current radiator is a 24inch reproduction or replacement? No markings or partnumbers or stamps in any part of the radiator tanks or supports. I am assuming they put that in to replace a similar sized rasiator, but i could be wrong.

I havent been to the shed recently, but need do go through my boxes. Would there be a date stamp on the top radiator clamp that i could cross reference with my other panel dates to see if that is an original part?

I keep being reminded that 24inch radiators were only found in desert cooling optioned cars, but i believe that this is not always the case?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:01:52 AM by J_Speegle »
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline tim_morrison82

Re: What is the correct radiator for my car
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 01:56:39 PM »
Sorry, thought i had a signature on this site.

Car is san jose j code 68, built mid dec 67.
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Offline Oz390

Re: What is the correct radiator for my car (SJ with A/C)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »
Never seen a "desert cooling" option, most Ford docs I've seen note "extra cooling" or a/c applications. 

Ford shop manual calls out a 24" radiator for 289/302 for extra or a/c.  Other refs I have note 24" for various applications as well.  So it appears they were used for a few applications.

Unsure what prompted the "extra cooling" option/requirement vs. a/c.
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 08:08:50 PM »
Have never heard the "desert cooler" description applied to 67-up only in 65-66 which was a very different looking unit. Instead I think you may be referring to the "extra cooling" as often seen listed in Marti reports

For your application I looked through my stuff and found a buildsheet from a mid December J code, auto, PS, AC car that seems to match your care pretty closely. That buildsheet listed the original radiator as a C8ZE-F marked unit.

Looking at the Illustrated Parts Guide from the period it shows that the replacement for a J code with AC (listed as an extra cooling unit) was the wider version with the top and bottom clamps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:20:38 PM »
I have only heard the desert cooler description used by after market companies and not by Ford in any literature.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:01:31 AM »
I have only heard the desert cooler description used by after market companies and not by Ford in any literature.

Think I've got a reference to them in one or two documents will have to find and post them - in another thread since its not a 67-up reference ;)

Looking at my pictures the design of the radiators on SJ cars changed - might be a change in supplier - who got the contract that year but still have allot of Modine stamped examples.  Have to look deeper into the difference for an explanation
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:11:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline tim_morrison82

Re: What is the correct radiator for my car (SJ 68 J code with A/C)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:51:22 AM »
just to confirm, the C8ZE-F is a 24inch radiator?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 09:14:49 AM »
Maybe. You forgot to tell us which transmission you have.
C8ZE F is for auto
C8ZE E is for standard trans
Also SJ radiators are different than Dearborn/NJ radiators. You want one with the W MO on top tank
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 01:45:47 PM »

Yes

Maybe. You forgot to tell us which transmission you have..........

Second line of his first post ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 03:55:55 AM »
I did a search online for pics and saw a 7L dated one on ebay and nearly died, however, it was an old picture...
Would have been perfect!

I have my eye on 2 potential radiators now, hopefully i can track one down close to my date. Or at least from the correct plant. I did a search on here for that part number and it came up with some pics to id the different radiators used in the different plants, so fingers crossed one turns out to be good.

I am also on the lookout for a shroud to suit. I have had 1 quote from a shop for an original, and its not cheap. But there cant be too many left

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 06:37:17 PM »
The shrouds are as hard to find as the big block ones (they are a one year part) but fortunately they dont get big block prices. Still be prepared to pay 2-300 for a nice one.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America