Author Topic: 1964 1/2 steering wheel color  (Read 1165 times)

Offline webengr

1964 1/2 steering wheel color
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:09:42 AM »
I am restoring a 1964 1/2 convertible (generator) .  The exterior is ragoon red with a red interior.  I have been trying to purchase the correct steering wheel.  Some mustang parts vendors list the color as bright red and others show it as red.  I ordered the bright red first and it came in broke.  I noticed it has an orange hue to it.  I finally found another one and it was listed as red.  The interior trim is painted the Ditzler 71315.  The Red wheel seems to match this color pretty well.  But as I indicated, vendors and some restorer's tell me the bright red is correct.  Does anyone know where I can find the correct color for the red steering wheel? :(

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1964 1/2 steering wheel color
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:32:30 AM »
Are you asking for a paint code to paint a wheel or asking where to find the correct red plastic (non-paint) wheel?  If it's the latter, my best advice would be to search for an NOS wheel.  Even in that case, it may or may not match exactly to what was installed on the cars when new.  I'd be looking for a wheel in an old FoMoCo box to give some assurance that it was an older piece.  If you decide to search for an NOS wheel, let me know if you come across a 64.5 medium blue wheel!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin