Author Topic: Undercarriage Slop Grey - June 68 Dearborn  (Read 2187 times)

Offline 1Hotboss

Undercarriage Slop Grey - June 68 Dearborn
« on: December 08, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »
My June built 68 Dearborn car I have been told is not to have red oxide primer undercarriage as it currently does but a slop grey one...can someone please tell me what they use to obtain this colour...which paint..etc...I will be doing a engine compartment and suspension rebuild so I will be able to paint the undercarriage this winter...so could someone please lead me in the right direction...Thanks
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:35:06 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Slop Grey
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 05:04:25 PM »
There is no "correct" tint, color or tone as the mix was always changing but typically (in 68 at Dearborn) in a general range it appears. SO since you still have your original you will need to have that color matched.

Couple of choices here - If your in a bigger urban area often paint suppliers (paint shops) will come out with a camera that reads your color and spits out a formula - clean the spot well and give it a little rub with cleaner/polish to remove any build up or oxidation.

Second choice would be to start with something like a early 2000's VW gray and tint it till you get something that is dead on. This will take allot of effort and trips but its what needs to be done if you don't have the other option unless you can take the body to the paint shop for them to match it the old way

Finished product with be basically a fairly shinny paint. Remember that from the firewall forward you will still be looking at a red oxide base likely that will show on areas in the inner fenders and from the bottom of the car - along the frame and in the suspension pockets and the like

Hope this helps a little
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:07:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
Re: 68 Dearborn Undercarriage Slop Grey
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 12:37:19 AM »
A few years ago, I discovered that the paint used on style steel wheels is an exact match to the undercarriage paint on my June-built Dearborn coupe.  It has that slight shimmer that is needed for the match.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years