Author Topic: Solenoid Harness Feed Routing  (Read 5637 times)

Offline sas_302

Solenoid Harness Feed Routing
« on: December 04, 2012, 01:19:10 AM »
Does anyone have pictures of the wire harness feed to the solenoid along the firewall and around the passenger apron?  Just need a reference point, mine looks too high.
Thanks,
Scott

priceless

Re: Solenoid Harness Feed Routing
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 05:29:02 AM »
I'm assuming your needing it for a 69 Mustang?  I can get you some pics here later today of our original 69 Mach 1, up early right now,,,,couldn't sleep.

priceless

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 02:15:11 PM »
Here's some photos. Feb/69 NJ built. This is the wiring from the solenoid(original solenoid,I might add,regulator isn't), it drops down and goes under the battery then along the radiator support. the pig tail plug goes to the alternator.

This is the original wiring in its original factory location.

No wires run around the shock tower....Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:53:27 AM by priceless »

Offline sas_302

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:00:09 AM »
Sorry guys, to clarify it is a '70 Dearborn.  This section of the harness runs along the firewall above the heater motor and around the passenger apron.  Try for pics again?
Thanks,
Scott

priceless

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Makes you wonder why such a big wire routing change from a 69 NJ built Mustang and a 70 Dearborn Mustang for the solenoid? Ford usually tries to keep things simplified.  Seems like alot of work to me for a part that does the same thing for either year/plant.

I know what some of you are already thinking, "It's two seperate plants at two seperate time periods". But, it's still basic with the same design under the hood(actually identical, from a sheetmeatal standpoint). Looks like communication with the design department to the supplier(s) would've kept it the same, and, that keeps the cost down......Just my thoughts, it's always intriguing to the mind.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:49:41 AM by priceless »

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 07:53:33 PM »
Actually, there was a major change in wiring under the hood between 69 and 70.  Only in 1970, the main power leads and connectors for the alternator were on the underdash harness, which snaked around the passenger side to the starter solenoid.  Included in this bundle were the I and S slip-on connectors.  All other years, the connections for the starter solenoid and the alternator were on the headlight harness, which came from the radiator support area to the starter solenoid.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline sas_302

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:59:01 PM »
Connectors and cable placement were what I was looking for.  If no pics, maybe a good verbal description?
Thanks,
Scott

priceless

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 07:41:26 AM »
Actually, there was a major change in wiring under the hood between 69 and 70.  Only in 1970, the main power leads and connectors for the alternator were on the underdash harness, which snaked around the passenger side to the starter solenoid.  Included in this bundle were the I and S slip-on connectors.  All other years, the connections for the starter solenoid and the alternator were on the headlight harness, which came from the radiator support area to the starter solenoid.
That's Good information to know,Thanks. I'd say that had  a little to do with the ignition switch being on the steering column in '70?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 07:23:19 PM »
Not really, because the wires could have been routed through the headlight harness if they wanted to.  I believe it was done to improve reliability, but someone forgot that wiring exposed to engine heat tend to break down faster.  It was cheaper to replace a headlight harness than an underdash harness when the wiring portion in the engine compartment deteriorated.  This created more reliability issues for Ford (for maintenance and warranty issues) than if they just left the interface to the starter solenoid on the headlight harness. 

Why do I think this?  The configuration used was unique to 1970 and abandoned the next year.  Further, Ford went to a fusible link for the main power in 71 as well, probably to decrease warranty costs (quicker, easier, and cheaper to replace a fusible link than an entire headlight harness).
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline rayms69

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
i would like to see pics, im pretty sure my are the originals, i will take some pics and try to post here, had it figured out how to do that awhile ago. mine ws dearborn 10-20-69.
10-26-1969 Dearborn 428 SCJ auto

Offline sas_302

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
After scrolling through a few threads, I came across this one (5th picture down):

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5366.0

Now I see that I was wrong.  Instead of across the firewall and around the apron, it is held in place with clips down the shock tower brace and to the solenoid.  No wonder it seemed "misplaced" with my routing.

To Midlife's point, this would seem to be a horrible routing especially hanging in place close to the engine and over the exhaust manifold.

Anyone have a harness routing that differs from this?

Scott

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »
........... Instead of across the firewall and around the apron, it is held in place with clips down the shock tower brace and to the solenoid.  No wonder it seemed "misplaced" with my routing.

Anyone have a harness routing that differs from this?

Well first I guess someone didn't ask when and where your car was built. What you found might be correct for that car and engine combination but not yours.

So to that end when and where was your car built - along with what engine and trans ?

With that others (and I ) can at least offer other examples or likely routing and hardware  ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

priceless

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »
Well first I guess someone didn't ask when and where your car was built......
In his 2nd post, he did mention '70 Dearborn, but he didn't mention the Month,engine or trans.

Offline sas_302

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »
Missing information:  Build Dearborn February 70, V8, 4sp Transmission.

I do appreciate the help with a potential variant.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »
Missing information:  Build Dearborn February 70, V8, 4sp Transmission.

Thanks - so in the #160,000 range ;)

Looking at a few hundred cars it appears that the round plastic clips that attached the passenger side wire loom didn't hold up well and at this point allot of people have just left it to rest against the heater hoes or they have been pulled reward back into the corner to rest on the brake line - and normally no longer in the upper shock tower wire retainer. Since there is no provision for a wire loom retainer (or two ;) in the back corner its apparently IMHO that this was likely not the original location. Do have a few examples where the round (preformed circle) style of clips were inserted from the bottom of the shock tower brace/support on the passenger side.

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)