Author Topic: Brake Booster ID ?  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Brian Conway

Brake Booster ID ?
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »
     The booster on my 69 does not have much in the way of ID info.  I am guessing that it is a Midland as it is not the Bendix ' crimped ' style.  The one on my car also has the FoMoCo in the oval located on top.  No dates or part numbers visible.  Is it a Midland, a Midland-Ross, something else and do these usually come with the FoMoCo and oval cast in the top of the case.  ?  Just curious.  Thanks,  Brian.
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Brake Booster ID ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 01:29:06 AM »
     The booster on my 69 does not have much in the way of ID info.  I am guessing that it is a Midland as it is not the Bendix ' crimped ' style.  The one on my car also has the FoMoCo in the oval located on top.  No dates or part numbers visible.  Is it a Midland, a Midland-Ross, something else and do these usually come with the FoMoCo and oval cast in the top of the case.  ?  Just curious.  Thanks,  Brian.
Brian , typically the midland ross (what is installed ) with the FoMoCo in the oval is a service replcement but have seen a few marked that way that i felt were assemblyline placed. What was the build date of the car? Some very early 69 cars came with midland ross and not bendix.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »
     The cars build date is Sept. 19, 1968.  Thanks for taking a look.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »
Brian , with that early of a 69 production date I would be surprised if it wasn't a Midland.They are typically Bendix but you have a rarely seen exception.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 11:33:05 PM »

Considering the time period and that its NJ I looked at a fair number (picture collection) and I found consistently the style shown below

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:44:38 AM »
Another observation on a Sept built CJ would be that it would have the chrome valve covers instead of the finned aluminum. Another early trait. I can't think off hand when the change occured my cheat sheets are all packed up for a move.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »
Another observation on a Sept built CJ would be that it would have the chrome valve covers instead of the finned aluminum. Another early trait. I can't think off hand when the change occured my cheat sheets are all packed up for a move.

+1 at NJ Sept cars would ahve used the chrome - many months before the change over
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 04:12:49 PM »
     Thanks for the info on the brake booster.  I would guess that it is a service replacement from Ford or a  parts retailer rebuilt unit ?  As these units did not have an indefinite life span that would have been the usual fix.   As I mentioned  ' just curious '  the lack of part numbers and dates etc. 
     As to the valve covers: they are not correct and are OE for later in the 69 production year.  Chromed, POWER BY FORD with date stamps would be original for this production date.  The shaker support bracket and the shaker wing nuts are also incorrect.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.