Author Topic: Asphalt on Front Turn Signal and Wiring Harness??  (Read 3680 times)

Offline dave6768

Asphalt on Front Turn Signal and Wiring Harness??
« on: December 02, 2012, 09:41:33 PM »
I am cleaning a detailing my front turn signals on my Jul 68 NJ car and found what appears to be asphalt on the wire harness and the back of the fixture itself.  Is this the case or is it just years of debris picked up from the road?

Dave

Offline ruppstang

Re: Asphalt on Front Turn Signal and Wiring Harness??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 11:35:53 PM »
Looks like under coating. ;D

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:15:19 AM »
I am cleaning a detailing my front turn signals on my Jul 68 NJ car and found what appears to be asphalt on the wire harness and the back of the fixture itself.  Is this the case or is it just years of debris picked up from the road?

Dave
Not supposed to be there.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:24:11 AM »
It's possible that this could be from the factory applied sound deadener/sealer used under the front fenders.  Or, it could have been a result of dealer or owner undercoating.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

priceless

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »
It's possible that this could be from the factory applied sound deadener/sealer used under the front fenders.  Or, it could have been a result of dealer or owner undercoating.
+1

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:44:35 PM »

1+ - you would have to look at all the areas covered with the material and the material itself to figure out if its factory, dealer or possibly just something thrown up by the road but its not unusual for the bumper support and some other surfaces in the area to get a spray of factory sound deadener if the worker ran the wand lower on your particular car but the pattern would be evident - normally shot from about the lower a arm from rear towards front and under the car when spraying that area
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dave6768

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:44:19 PM »
I will have to take a closer look at things.  I'm thinking the car was undercoated...but not sure when or my whom.

As I mentioned in another thread, the car was wrecked and flipped upside down.  A lot of the steel was replaced including both front fenders.  This will make the investigation more difficult. 

I'm assuming that there is no record including the Marti report that would indicate if it were factory installed?

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:58:52 PM »
I'm assuming that there is no record including the Marti report that would indicate if it were factory installed?

If its undercoat its easy - it can't be factory since Ford did not apply undercoating

As for sound deadener - Ford didn't keep records of how the ar was built (standard assembly stuff like the fact that the car was painted- had wheels, had a glove box door and such ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »
Only type of documentation to verify would be original selling dealer info like a bill or sale or invoice that shows it as a line item.  Was pretty typical of dealers on the east coast to apply undercoat.  Guess it was a quick way to make a few bucks.  They probably bought the stuff by the barrel.

Offline dave6768

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 01:28:55 PM »
Well then...it will all get cleaned up.

Thanks guys!

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 08:02:20 PM »
Having much experience getting rid of asphalt-like material off of wires, I'd recommend the following solvents in order of ease:
Gasoline
lacquer thinner
Goof-off (never got it to work effectively)

Gasoline and lacquer thinner will require elbow grease, and gas will loosen the crud up easier than LT.  No need to worry about the wire insulation or washing off of the wire colors (the fuel sending line past the trunk drop-off is the only wire that consistently appears to be painted on!).

I've never tried HD Easy Off Oven Cleaner with lye, but I suspect it will work pretty well in a well-ventilated area.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 08:17:52 PM »
Having much experience getting rid of asphalt-like material off of wires, I'd recommend the following solvents in order of ease:
Gasoline
lacquer thinner
Goof-off (never got it to work effectively)

Gasoline and lacquer thinner will require elbow grease, and gas will loosen the crud up easier than LT.  No need to worry about the wire insulation or washing off of the wire colors (the fuel sending line past the trunk drop-off is the only wire that consistently appears to be painted on!).

I've never tried HD Easy Off Oven Cleaner with lye, but I suspect it will work pretty well in a well-ventilated area.
Goof-Off works too well, it will remove the wire's color tracer, as will Easy Off. Take the parking light assembly off the car and clean it on a bench where you can see what you're doing. Gas first, soak and then elbow grease. I've used Krud Kutter (available from Home Depot Paint Dept) with some success.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline dave6768

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 09:02:47 PM »
I have always used lacquer thinner.  It does take some elbow grease, but works and does not appear to harm the insulation or the colored lines.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »
Lacquer thinner will sometimes take off any engineering numbers printed on the wires.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »
Lacquer thinner will sometimes take off any engineering numbers printed on the wires.

That has been my experience :(

In areas away from markings I've used the orange hand cleaner especially finishing with the lanolin stuff - seems to improve the final look of things like hoses if you use it to carefully clean those)
Jeff Speegle