Author Topic: Engine bay Paint ok decals "B" "F" "T" "P" + the red "P"  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Buiaka

Engine bay Paint ok decals "B" "F" "T" "P" + the red "P"
« on: November 27, 2012, 06:23:08 AM »
Hi all,

does anybody know where the locations for the "letter" B F T P decals in the engine bay are? There is another red "P" decal. Where is the location for this?
My car is a 1969 Mach 1 H-code built 18th of July 1969 in Metuchen with FMX transmission.
Here is a picture from a 72 Mach 1.

greets

Christopher

Offline PerkinsRestoration

Re: Engine bay Paint ok decals "B" "F" "T" "P" + the red "P"
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:13:34 AM »
Not used on a Metuchen car,Dearborn only.

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »
My unrestored Dearborn built 70 Mach 1 still has remnants of the factory F sticker on the driver side shock tower at the 8 o'clock position.
Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »
As Bob wrote these were used only on Dearborn cars in specific years and time periods - they would be incorrect for a NJ or San Jose cars.   Easy deductions at car shows for those owners :(

Why were are on the subject these were not all paint ok inspection decals - only one of the set was :) Colors and letters combinations appears to vary also on month/time period applied
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 10:31:18 AM »
I agree. My 70 Mach 1 was built in Dearborn on 3/11/70. I have the Eminger Invoice. Also wonder what the time period was. Was it early 70 or did they do it all year. I worked at a Ford dealer in 70 and can't remember paying any attention to those stickers. I wonder what those B F T and red P letters stand for ?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »
I agree. My 70 Mach 1 was built in Dearborn on 3/11/70. I have the Eminger Invoice. Also wonder what the time period was. Was it early 70 or did they do it all year. I worked at a Ford dealer in 70 and can't remember paying any attention to those stickers. I wonder what those B F T and red P letters stand for ?

At Dearborn the paint inspectors transistioned to a ink stamp for their marks late in 69.

As for thew B F T I would guess (haven't found a worker to confirm these yet so only a guess)  possible Brakes, Final inspection, Trim and the Paint. There is sometimes an E found also on 70's

Bob  likely has a better handle on these than I do ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »
At Dearborn the paint inspectors transistioned to a ink stamp for their marks late in 69.

Are you sure its not Metuchen instead of Dearborn ?

My 70 Mach 1 still sports its original 1970 paint job. I have never found any paint stamps on the body anywhere. Now my 70 Metuchen built Boss 302 has Paint OK Balon stamped on the underside of the trunk lid.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 10:28:57 PM »
Are you sure its not Metuchen instead of Dearborn ?

Yes - format is different from both San Jose and NJ Then Dearborn changed in 71 to another style of stamp for 71-73.

As always these ink stamps don't hold up well to the elements and time. A simple wipe of even a tissue will wipe them away - done that :(
Jeff Speegle