Author Topic: Best Repro woodgrain wheel??  (Read 1708 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Best Repro woodgrain wheel??
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:20:01 AM »
What manufacturer has the best quality, most correct DeLuxe woodgrain steering wheel on the market right now?

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Best Repro woodgrain wheel??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:51:11 PM »
Any comments?

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:20:41 AM »
My experience with this is now about 3 years old, but here goes.  The nicest one IMO is like the one sold individually by NPD (and probably others).  I think I was told it is a Dynacorn part?  Anyway, I bought this wheel and it looked great, but it was not assembled/welded correctly and I could never get any combination of original or repro parts to fit properly.  The horn buttons never aligned with the slots in the wheel spokes.  I finally gave up and bought the much cheaper commonly available repro that comes as a kit with all of the repro parts.  Fit like a glove and looks OK though I know it could be better having seen the other repro.

Very frustrating experience for me.  Maybe the more current versions are better or I got a bad one.  I would start with the "best" repro like NPD sells in hopes it is "fixed" now and then send it back if it isn't.  Good luck!
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »
OK, Thanks!  Then anyone know who does the very best job restoring an original Pony/woodgrain wheel? Is Billy Herndon still doing it?

Offline MyRed66GT

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:38:37 PM »
Billy Herndon did mine. Looks fantastic. Never thought any of the repros looked "correct" enough...spokes were too brushed imo....

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 07:22:07 AM »
Billy Herndon did mine. Looks fantastic. Never thought any of the repros looked "correct" enough...spokes were too brushed imo....

Great! Thanks!