Author Topic: Backup Light hole in floor dimple behind shifter on '65  (Read 1858 times)

meltdwn65GT

Backup Light hole in floor dimple behind shifter on '65
« on: November 01, 2012, 07:58:23 PM »
---
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 04:37:01 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline jwc66k

Re: Backup Light hole in floor dimple behind shifter on '65
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 08:14:50 PM »
Backup lights were an option in 1965 and the wiring depended on the transmission. The automatic transmission backup wiring was in parallel with the ignition lockout wiring (start in park or neutral only) thru the fire wall and down along side the transmission, while the manual transmission's wiring came from and went to the instrument panel down the transmission tunnel on the dimple all on the inside. See 65 Electrical Assembly manual AM0008, pgs 35 & 45.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »
Check the date stamp on the lower valance.  Should give you a clue.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »
A lot of unknowns here... mostly surrounding possibly sheet metal repair or replacement in the past.  Full floor replaced, quarters and trunk turn downs replaced?  Do we know if the tail light wiring harness is original?

The absence of the hole in tunnel might indicate the car originally had an automatic trans.  If you're certain the car was a manual trans, then no hole is a good indication the car had no back-up lights.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Online midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 09:53:08 PM »
Didn't the GT in 65 come without reverse lights?  I believe in 65 reverse lights were optional or at least not required by the Federales.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Murf

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:11:07 AM »
If your 65 was a factory GT and built more toward the beginning period of production for Gt cars (March 65 on toward the end of 65 production) it will not have back up lights, nor will the harness for the rear lights even have a provision for back up lights in the loom of wires. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
This is a long shot. From my notes: the harness ID tag was wrapped around the end of the harness near the right hand tail light. There were four harnesses listed in the 65, two for hardtop or convertibles, and two for Fastbacks. One each from each group was with backup light provisions, one without ("C5ZB-14405-E" HT/CV w/o; "-F" HT/CW with; "-J" FB w/o; "-K" FB with).
The is a possibility that later in the production year, Ford eliminated the harnesses with-out back-up light provisions and went to the harnesses with the provisions to reduce inventory levels.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.