Author Topic: Caution Fan decal on 68.5 R Code Coupe  (Read 1974 times)

Offline cjmustangman

Caution Fan decal on 68.5 R Code Coupe
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:23:24 AM »
On a 68.5 R code coupe, Auto, 4.30 gears built on June 5th at San Jose, would there be caution fan decal on the radiator fan shroud?

Thanks
Arild

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Caution Fan decal on 68.5 R Code Coupe
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 11:12:38 AM »
Nope
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »
Nope

Adding a bit more info: not from the factory, but it probably would have been added during a future dealership service appointment or if a replacement shroud were installed.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:30:20 PM »
Think there was a technical service bulletin sometime around 1970 that indicated dealer's should install the decal.  Still does not make it concours correct for cars that didn't come with it from the factory, but explains why some may have wound up with them.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »
For others and the OP

This has been a hot topic for many years and well discussed over the years since the Internet opened to the general public. The following is my understanding of the campaign and the results

There was a point in the early 70's when Ford (concerned about a possibility or as a result of lawyers or other things) sent out millions of these decals. With a letter of instruction there were sent to every registered Ford owner. At the same time dealers were provided with allot of decals and instructed to place one on every car in the dealership (new and used) as well as any Ford product that came in for service - with no end date to the program so no idea of how many years dealers continued to do it but the decals were provided for years.

As another facet of the program a decal was included with every service replacement radiator shroud.

As a result we often see very low mileage original cars with them and in sheer numbers just allot of cars with them. Because of this, in the early 80's they were accepted by most people as original and often original owners swore "its always been there". We've learned allot since those days and today the decal is often used to describe a lower level of restoration in some circles.

Sorry for the long answer ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 11:38:31 AM »
Some cars did come from factory with caution fan decal but they were on the metal (fingerguard) or top radiator hold-down brackets & guards mostly from early 60s era & ford part # coaz (if i remember correctly) was on the ford package when serviced & i think that is why decal said caution fan because those cars never used shrouds & fan was fully exposed. Boss 429s all came from KK with decal on them.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »
Some cars did come from factory with caution fan decal but they were on the metal (fingerguard) or top radiator hold-down brackets & guards mostly from early 60s era & ford part # coaz (if i remember correctly) was on the ford package when serviced & i think that is why decal said caution fan because those cars never used shrouds & fan was fully exposed. Boss 429s all came from KK with decal on them.

Remembered last night after I wrote that, that I should have at least mentioned the Boss 9 finger guard with the decal. I was remiss not mentioning that in my text but figured that it would be Bob P that would remind me again ;)   
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)