Author Topic: 1967 Big Block Fan Shroud ??s  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
1967 Big Block Fan Shroud ??s
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:51:21 AM »
Did the all of the Original Shrouds have Casting Numbers?

I have heard of the Horse Hair Fiber glass construction, did this show on the the front and rear of shroud, or was the outer side of the shroud smooth?

Are any Current Reproductions made of the coarser fiberglass? or were the coarser ones older reproductions? Or were there any Coarser reproductions?
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Big Block Fan Shroud ??s
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:45:08 AM »
Did the all of the Original Shrouds have Casting Numbers?

I have heard of the Horse Hair Fiber glass construction, did this show on the the front and rear of shroud, or was the outer side of the shroud smooth?

Are any Current Reproductions made of the coarser fiberglass? or were the coarser ones older reproductions? Or were there any Coarser reproductions?
All of the original shrouds had engineering numbers AND FOMOCO trademark . The repros didn't come with the trademark.It is a easy way to tell  ;). There are other aspects that are different but looking for the trademark is the easy way for thosed not versed in the other differances.  There have been some early 67 repros that had a horsehair appearance but not the same as the factory bb shrouds of the 67 68 and 69 era.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:47:20 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• MagMustangs
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »
Thanks Bob, every Original fan shroud I've seen has had the engineering number and Ford Logo. I have seen your internet convos about the (FoMoCo) versus [FoMoCo] differences.  I figured I would ask about the early one. I have one that has the heavy horsehair fiberglass on the backside in its natural white-yellow state, but the outside of it is completely smooth with a couple colors in Black and a bright white. No Numbers. I wasn't sure if someone had previously smoothed out the front of it(engine side, not radiator side), or if the front is supposed to be smooth. It also does not have the rectangular notch at the bottom LH of the circular Fan opening(like shown in the picture from Mansfield's). It does have the 67 correct rolled notch at far LH bottom of the shroud. Instead of the 68-70 rolled notch more towards center under the fan circle. It also measures a full 24" width, instead of slightly smaller which I have heard the originals were. Does that sound like an earlier repop to you?
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 02:12:31 PM »
The difference on the trademark is for a SB .I will let others discuss. My I phone makes a long reply difficult.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• MagMustangs
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 01:12:58 PM »
Thanks Bob, lack of Ford Numbers makes it a repro. That's what I wanted to know. I guess it is probably on older repro instead of a newer one, but no big deal when it was produced.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 10:58:56 PM »
Thanks Bob, lack of Ford Numbers makes it a repro. That's what I wanted to know. I guess it is probably on older repro instead of a newer one, but no big deal when it was produced.
Some repros have engineering numbers too ;). But none of the repros have a Ford trademark. Thank goodness because they all are of inferior quality as well as appearance .