Author Topic: 65 GT Stripe Color Question  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Brett

65 GT Stripe Color Question
« on: July 30, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »
I have a question on what the original stripe color for a 65 GT Coupe that is Twilight Turquoise. 

Details on the care are:
San Jose build towards the end of March (29Q) edit: sorry for the earlier typo.
Black Pony Interior (trim code 66)
Headliner is black (has been replaced)
Twilight turquoise exterior

I've had some discussion regarding the correct stripe color.  Some say it should be white according to the fact that it is a twilight exterior.  Some say it should be black since it has factory black Pony interior.  I have only seen white stripe twilight cars, but they all have white or aqua interiors.  Can anyone help shed some light on this for me?
Thanks
Brett
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:57:02 PM by Brett »

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: 65 GT Stripe Color Question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »
Just curoius and somewhat off-topic, but wouldn't March 22, 1965 be date coded Q22? I thought C22 would be March 22, 1964. Or did San Jose not follow the wrap around date coding for the extended production year.

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 04:46:22 PM »
Brett,

The information I have suggests that either the black or white stripes could have been had with Twilight Turquoise.
Interior trim options included 26, 27, D9, 66, 69, F6, & F9.
A note states: "Stripe color is keyed to interior trim when more than one option is listed." That may be fairly obvious in the case of a 66 interior such as yours (black with black stripes) or a white interior with appointment color. Not sure what choice of stripe would be "keyed" to an Aqua or Palomino interior?
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 06:46:32 PM »
Details on the care are:
San Jose build towards the end of March (22C).
Black Pony Interior (trim code 66)
Headliner is black (has been replaced)
Twilight turquoise exterior

Just curoius and somewhat off-topic, but wouldn't March 22, 1965 be date coded Q22? I thought C22 would be March 22, 1964. Or did San Jose not follow the wrap around date coding for the extended production year.

I believe Greg would be correct if the 22C is the build date on the door tag that would be too early for a GT. I think San Jose used the wrap around date coding. I have even seen some 67 door tags that still use the wrap around date coding.

Offline Brett

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:47:38 PM »
I believe Greg would be correct if the 22C is the build date on the door tag that would be too early for a GT. I think San Jose used the wrap around date coding. I have even seen some 67 door tags that still use the wrap around date coding.

Sorry for the confusion.  The date is Q, which should be March 1965.

Thanks
Brett 

Offline Brett

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »
Brett,

The information I have suggests that either the black or white stripes could have been had with Twilight Turquoise.
Interior trim options included 26, 27, D9, 66, 69, F6, & F9.
A note states: "Stripe color is keyed to interior trim when more than one option is listed." That may be fairly obvious in the case of a 66 interior such as yours (black with black stripes) or a white interior with appointment color. Not sure what choice of stripe would be "keyed" to an Aqua or Palomino interior?

Thanks Pete.  This would indicate that my car would be a black stripe being that it is black Pony Interior, multi-optioned GT.

Most Twilight GT cars that I have seen have had white stripes.  Maybe they stand out a little more than a black stripe would.  Factory Twilight GT's seem to be a little rare.  I personally have only run across a handful in the past 25 years.

Thanks
Brett

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »
Brett,

I believe that what the note is referring to when it says, "multi-optioned", is the fact that more than more color GT stripe was available. This wasn't applicable to all colors however. Some colors only had one stripe color choice (option). Spring Yellow, for instance, was only available with a black stripe. Then there's Wimbledon White that was available with Black, Red, and Blue.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »
Little off subject but my dad had a factory GT fastback that was originally twilight turquoise with the aqua and white deluxe interior but someone repainted it tropical turquoise.  Was a 4 speed with the factory A/C from San Jose...He owned it from 1995-1998...He sold it to some guy in Dallas that was planning on making it a Shelby clone...Not sure whatever happened to it...I keep an eye out on it on eBay but I don't know what the car currently looks like...Can't find any paperwork with the VIN on it...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:26:57 PM »
Brett,

I believe that what the note is referring to when it says, "multi-optioned", is the fact that more than more color GT stripe was available. This wasn't applicable to all colors however. Some colors only had one stripe color choice (option). ..................

Pete have to disagree respectfully - there may have been suggested colors but the owner/purchaser could get what they want since allot cars were built to order.

One example would be a Blue 66 that was built with red stripes.   Have seen spring time yellows with white also (original owner with window sticker cars).
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 06:29:48 AM »
Thanks for the correction, Jeff.  ;)

I'm curious though. If a stripe isn't the "suggested" color, and an owner doesn't have documentation on their car to confirm otherwise, how do judges handle a "non-typical" GT stripe?

Offline Brett

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »
So the answer for a twilight car is that it could be either black or white, but most likely keyed to the interior color.  In this case, a black interior would have a black stripe.

Brett

Offline Jays66gt

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 05:55:31 PM »
I've been told that the attached document was to be used considering color combination.  But I did not adhere to it with my Candy Apple Red with red interior and white GT stripes!

But I decided I knew better than Ford because the white GT stripes looked better with the white vinyl roof.  That, and my wife said to stripe it in white!

Nevermind.  I reread the OP and saw that his car is a '65.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 05:57:19 PM by Jays66gt »
1966 GT
6R07A105XXX
San Jose car delivered to Denver in September 1965.

Offline Brett

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »
Great doc.  Does anyone have one for the 65 model year?

Brett

Offline Jays66gt

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 07:44:39 PM »
Sorry Brett.  Wish I could help you. :-[
1966 GT
6R07A105XXX
San Jose car delivered to Denver in September 1965.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 08:00:58 PM »
The 65 page is available in "How To Restore Your Mustang", by Larry Dobbs and Donald Farr, along with 64, 67 and 68 model years. As the book was published in 1989, there have been a few discrepancies determined over the years especially in the two tone deluxe interior combinations, but the book is a good common reference document.
Try www.abebooks.com for a used copy.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.