Author Topic: 1965 Coupe Quarter Panel Extensions  (Read 3801 times)

Offline rocket289k

1965 Coupe Quarter Panel Extensions
« on: July 20, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »
Hi Guys,

I've run into an issue that I've never seen before and wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.  My driver's side quarter panel extension includes the channel that the rubber gasket slides into to prevent scratching the paint on the quarter panel (which is what I expected).  However, my passenger side quarter panel extension does not include this channel that the rubber gasket would slide into.  Both parts appear to be OEM and original to the car and both have the Ford oval stamping and part number.  Is this normal for the passenger side quarter panel to not have that channel slot for the gasket?

See attached photo.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 1965 Coupe Quarter Panel Extensions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »
I believe the one with the channel is a 66 variant; the one without the channel is the 65 variant.  Isn't there a stamped part number inside?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 12:19:54 AM »
Hi Guys,

I've run into an issue that I've never seen before and wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.  My driver's side quarter panel extension includes the channel that the rubber gasket slides into to prevent scratching the paint on the quarter panel (which is what I expected).  However, my passenger side quarter panel extension does not include this channel that the rubber gasket would slide into.  Both parts appear to be OEM and original to the car and both have the Ford oval stamping and part number.  Is this normal for the passenger side quarter panel to not have that channel slot for the gasket?

See attached photo.

Regards,

Ron
Like Jeff would say - "plant and date". Many early 1965 Mustangs have 1964 carpets, hoods and headlight buckets, so transitional parts are a known factor.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 01:16:06 AM »
Like Jeff would say - "plant and date". Many early 1965 Mustangs have 1964 carpets, hoods and headlight buckets, so transitional parts are a known factor.
Jim

It's a late July build date (July 19) Metuchen built car. I know the Metuchen plant cut over to 66 production early in August 65. How do you handle the installation of the gasket without the channel?  I'm not aware of 65 vs. 66 gasket.
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 12:17:31 PM »
There is no gasket on the '65 style without the channel.  I would stick to the no-gasket style on a '65.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 01:02:19 PM »
I have seen cars like this with one of one style and one of the other.

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 12:58:51 AM »
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 01:24:22 AM »
Thanks Charles and Brant,

I'll keep it the way I found it with one of each style on the car.  Per Charles' comment I will not include a gasket on the '65 style quarter panel extension.  Is there anyway to prevent scratching the paint with a 65 style quarter panel extension?  I presume marking up the paint and rattling was the reason behind changing the design in 1966.  I'll post the part numbers of each quarter panel extension to help validate our thinking in this thread.

Regards,

Ron

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 01:34:42 AM »
Some additional info in an older post.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1650.msg8438#msg8438

Thanks for directing me to the older post.  I somehow missed that when I did a search.

Regards,

Ron

Offline rodster

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 01:54:19 AM »

Your welcome. Searching for specifics can sometimes be difficult. There are 2 search options on the screen, the one on the left between Help and Profile yields better results.

I also found this which has some part # info.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2048.0
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »
Is there anyway to prevent scratching the paint with a 65 style quarter panel extension?  I presume marking up the paint and rattling was the reason behind changing the design in 1966.  I'll post the part numbers of each quarter panel extension to help validate our thinking in this thread.

There are washers that go over the studs before the quarter extensions are fitted to the car.  Sealer goes around these before install also.  The washers help to fit the extensions and help so they won't pull through and lap over the quarters.  Try not to over-tighten them.

Be prepared for questions if you take the car to a show.  I would want to have several other samples of cars built around the same time and same assembly plant for documentation.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »
There are washers that go over the studs before the quarter extensions are fitted to the car.  Sealer goes around these before install also.  The washers help to fit the extensions and help so they won't pull through and lap over the quarters.  Try not to over-tighten them.

Be prepared for questions if you take the car to a show.  I would want to have several other samples of cars built around the same time and same assembly plant for documentation.

Thanks for advice Charles.  I see what I can do build up a some documentation about this anomaly.  I'm intending to keep it mismatched just like it originally came on the car. 

Regards,

Ron