Author Topic: Mustang  (Read 3213 times)

meltdwn65GT

Mustang
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:32:48 PM »
---
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:54:04 PM by 5RFastback »

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: ID help with area behind cluster - screw with cardboard
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:35:54 PM »
i believe that is the remains of the windshield wiper arm shield.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:38:17 PM »
i believe that is the remains of the windshield wiper arm shield.

+1
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 12:36:47 AM »
With the cluster out, should be relatively straight-forward to install.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »
i was looking for some other details when I spotted this picture about an installed watershield in one of Charles' (caspian65) blogs on a 65 K Convertible he played arouind with a few years back. For this item, the plenum and a couple of other paper based parts, I sprayed them with ScotchGuard to add a bit of preservative and to reduce any moisture problems. Some alternatives would be Thompson's Water Seal, clear flat spray paint (like Eastwood Diamond finish) lightly applied or something I've heard of but not used, hair spray. The idea is to waterproof something without making it look like it's been waterproofed.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:21:05 PM »
Just found one on Virgiana Classic Mustangs site...

Now how in the world do I install this thing with wires in?

VERRRY carefully  ;) . sorry i couldn't resist  :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:15:24 PM »
Guys, If I may jump in here a minute......Seems to me that the maker of this piece could certainly make heater plenums out of the same stuff????? seems like a no brainer to me......

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 04:51:24 PM »
Guys, If I may jump in here a minute......Seems to me that the maker of this piece could certainly make heater plenums out of the same stuff????? seems like a no brainer to me......

The material is somewhat similar, but not the same.  Also consider the heater plenum chamber is rounded and formed.  The wiper guard is just bent over and stapled, no forming.

Would be nice to get a good repro of the cardboard heater plenum, but just noting that it is a much more difficult piece to reproduce than the wiper guard.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 11:14:25 PM »

Have noticed with the two repros of these that I picked up from VCM awhile ago that the maker was installing the staples reversed... so I had to reverse the staples...The outside of the staples should be facing the outside and crimped on the inside.  Other than that, A nice accurate repro.  Interestingly enough, The above VCM picture shows the staples correctly installed.  Maybe they fixed the problem by now.

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 06:43:31 AM »
The material is somewhat similar, but not the same.  Also consider the heater plenum chamber is rounded and formed.  The wiper guard is just bent over and stapled, no forming.

Would be nice to get a good repro of the cardboard heater plenum, but just noting that it is a much more difficult piece to reproduce than the wiper guard.

May be Brant could get the supplier to do the heater plenums.....I think the material looks very close in the pictures....may be the supplier could come up with the right material for the plenums......someone made them in the early 60s I see no reason they couldn't be acuratly reproduced today.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 12:37:33 AM »
May be Brant could get the supplier to do the heater plenums.....I think the material looks very close in the pictures....may be the supplier could come up with the right material for the plenums......someone made them in the early 60s I see no reason they couldn't be acuratly reproduced today.

Believe he has tried and there always seems to be allot of reasons why stuff that was made back in the day can't be done today. Know that a number of people have tried just to get the corners sewn on the 67 reproduction trunk mats but apparently (just what we're told) the workers refuse to do the work due to fumes. Back in the day they were happy to have their jobs, suffer and die young (sorry could not help myself :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)