Author Topic: 65 Center Console Installation  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Vonzeek

65 Center Console Installation
« on: June 21, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »
I know this has been discussed briefly before but I'm still having trouble getting my new console under the dash and over the mounting bracket. It gets jammed between the bracket, dash, and 4 speed shifter and it doesn't matter what gear or angle I try it won't go in. I've measured the shifter opening and mounting bracket location and they are the same compared to an original console. ????????
Any suggestions or pics would help!
Thanks, Glenn.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 Center Console Installation
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 01:22:26 AM »
Do you have the seats out?  Easier to come in at an angle and roll it over.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:25:38 AM »
I've done this operation several times and yes with the seats out the consol will ' roll ' in.  This last time, new shifter bushings, I  did not install the brace/bracket.  No noticeable difference and nobody knows but me.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »
By all means, take the seats out, and remove the shifter lever.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:42:34 PM »
By all means, take the seats out, and remove the shifter lever.
Jim

Are you talking about removing it from underneath?  The rubber shifter boot gets screwed to the floor before the carpet goes in. 

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:25:33 PM »
It's a 4 speed and the shifter handle can be removed from the top. The only boot affected is also on the top. With an AT, sometimes you can put the shifter in "L" and get the console to fit without doing anything drastic. I think I removed just one seat to do this, it's been a while.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 05:05:07 PM »
Of course the shift handle can be removed from the top, but you have to remove the rubber shift boot up top to access the bolts.  The shifter boot is screwed to the tunnel with 4 machine phillips screws, this boot is installed before the carpet goes in.  I guess if you install the boot over the carpet, incorrectly, then this can be done.  With the console in place or even loose, it would be hard to reattach the boot.

Offline Vonzeek

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies,
 My seats are out of the car and I did try rolling it in place. Just wondering what gear would be best for this, it seams that 4th would give the most clearence, and I was also wondering if it mattered that I started on the drivers side or pass side. I must also ask were the proper placement of the mounting braket is, there were 2 dimples in the floor hump which is were I drilled and mounted the bracket.