Author Topic: Underdash wiring harness identification help  (Read 4392 times)

Offline macdude67

Underdash wiring harness identification help
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »
I have what appears to be either a 65 or 66 underdash wiring asssembly from a mustang. There are two legible tags/labels on it. One is 6 inches in from one of the 2 main firewall plugs this plug has heavy wires and has 6 terminals. on the label it reads C5ZB 14401 and possibly folowed by a M or N. Also on that label is stamped a larger SX. The other label that I found is part of the neutral safety switch/ reverse pigtail. The label reads C4ZB12638A and also has a larger SX above the the C4 number.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Underdash wiring harness identification help
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:25:44 PM »
Harness C5ZB-14401-M or N is a 1965 non-fog light harness but it is date sensitive, -M before 4/1/65 and -N after 4/1/65. The only notation in the Ford Car Parts book is that both can be used with either single or two speed wipers. The C5ZB-14401-G harness is listed as being used with the delux interior cars.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline MWM

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:11:10 PM »
Jim,
Good info! What book are you referring to? Perhaps I can find one for reference as I have been dealing with my harness as well.
Thanks!

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:59:33 PM »
The difference between the -M and the -N is undoubtedly the changeover for the heater.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 11:59:28 PM »
What book are you referring to? Perhaps I can find one for reference as I have been dealing with my harness as well.
Thanks!
The "book" is titled "Ford Car Parts" which is the old fashioned way (pre-computer, pre-microfiche) for the guys in the Ford dealership service departments to get a replacement part's number. My set (8 volumns, 5 part number, 3 illustrated parts breakdown) covers 1965 to 1972 Fords, Falcons, T-Birds, Fairlanes and Mustangs including 1964 1/2 (Ford called them 1965 models). Lincoln-Mercury dealers had their own sets and there was also a truck/van set. They run about $400 on e-bay and may be available on disc. Don't put too much in them as they contain replacement parts, which is not always what the factory used.
I don't know the date for the change from two speed to three speed heaters but that has to be what this is.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline slipkid

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »
My car has the standard interior but carries the C5ZB-14401 G tag.  All VIN's match with the data plate.  Somebody grab from the wrong bin?

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »
My car has the standard interior but carries the C5ZB-14401 G tag.  All VIN's match with the data plate.  Somebody grab from the wrong bin?

If the -G tag is for the deluxe/Pony package, it requires the 5 gauge dash cluster.  The 08B date is a bit too early for the Pony interior though. 

There were a couple running changes in 1965 that I've detected in the underdash harnesses. 

OK...I cracked my copy of the Master Parts Catalog and here's what I found for application for servicing (not original application):
-M is for non-fog before 4/1/65, non-deluxe interior
-N is for non-fog, after 4/1/65, non-deluxe interior.  Also, no convertible standard interior
-G is for 2 speed blower motor, deluxe interior (no non-fog indicated)

In 1965 variants E through N were serviced with -M, -G, -N replacement parts.

Most puzzling about your car with the -G

Offline slipkid

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 08:14:34 AM »
It has the 5 gauge cluster - its a GT.  Sorry for the confusion, I thought the harness discussion was between Pony/Standard.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 04:10:27 PM »
You could get the five gauge instrument cluster in 1965 as a stand-alone option independent of the GT. It's rare and I don't know when it was first offered (the same time as the GT option possibly?).
Jim

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 06:44:41 PM »
You could get the five gauge instrument cluster in 1965 as a stand-alone option independent of the GT. It's rare and I don't know when it was first offered (the same time as the GT option possibly?).
Jim

Really?  I never knew that!