Author Topic: Could a 70 Mach 1 come with a rear quarter panel mounte Antenna?  (Read 2426 times)

Offline mrfairlane

My 70 Mach 1 has the radio antenna mounted on top of the rear quarter panel like a Shelby. The pass side front fender has been changed with a factory Ford fender with no antenna hole as well. Would the quarter panel antenna possibly be correct for a 70 Mach, or should I plan on relocating the antenna to the front fender?

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: Could a 70 Mach 1 come with a rear quarter panel mounte Antenna?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:08:33 PM »
I don't see why not since my 69 Mach 1 did.
I talked with the original owner about 30 years back, and apparently there was a mix up with the audio setup he ordered and the way the car came delivered.
I can't remember what he wanted, but the car ended up with a dash speaker, black camera case bezel,  and the quarter panel antenna.
Presumably an am radio too, but that was gone when I bought it.
The dealer was Fogg Motors, which was also the Shelby dealership.
It probably arrived with just a blanking plate because there would be a fender antenna for anything else.
Maybe it got a camera case bezel because it was on hand unlike the early teak bezel.
Was there a panic to just pull it off another car on the lot so the delivered car could go out to the angry customer?
The camera case bezel was eventually cut to fit an am/fm cassette, so I changed it to a teak one and correct am radio.
The car had original paint on the original fenders when I bought it, never any fender hole.
I should really get a Marti report for this car.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:31:47 AM by 7Lscjracer »
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:33:12 PM »
The radio antenna was dealer installed which is why some were mounted in the rear quarter panel rather than the front rh fender per standard template that came in the trunk with antenna kit. If the car was ordered radio delete the dealer choices were numerous for style and location. The oem 69-70 antenna was the same regardless the radio option. If your restoring the car I would go with fender location.

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 01:02:07 AM »
...If the car was ordered radio delete the dealer choices were numerous for style...

So that explains why I've never seen a rectangular base on the quarter, only round base like mine?

I beg to differ on moving it to the fender though.
That leaves a hole to patch up in the quarter which will be clearly evident from underneath.
Next time I get to that car, I'll measure up where the hole is so you can compare with yours mrfairlane.
To each his own, but I don't think the fender mount looks nice sticking straight up, but I do like the swept back look of the quarter install.

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »
 Fixing the antenna hole in the quarter panel is a minor repair if the car is under restoration. There should be no evidence top side or underside if repair is done properly.

Offline mrfairlane

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »
Thanks for the quick response guys! I was hoping this was done by the dealer instead of someone else in the cars history. It is a factory AM radio car. I like the way it looks on the quarter, and may end up leaving it. If I did leave it as-is, I would plan on using a standard rectangle base Ford antenna. 7Lscjracer does your round base antenna have a Ford part number on it? I'm not familiar with a round base factory antenna.

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 06:31:37 PM »
I changed the weathered original antenna for another one that looked just like it sold by Auto/Marine Electric.
Mine was a ball shaped tip, although they could be pear shaped too.
If Fogg Motors installed a PM300 antenna that I lost, then that was a poor decision.
Actually, it's a poor decision to not keep all original parts, but back in the day I traveled light.
If it wasn't on the car anymore, it was outa here.
Check for PM300 on the body of yours.
I haven't seen a rectangular base on the quarter, only round, but I haven't seen a great deal of quarter panel antenna installs either so?
See if your 70 has the hole at center 17" forward of the quarter panel extension cap seam, and 4" at center inward of the quarter panel seam like my 69.
It's 15/16" diameter.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:34:00 PM by 7Lscjracer »