Author Topic: front brake line brackets??  (Read 4336 times)

Offline DWhitaker

front brake line brackets??
« on: May 29, 2012, 12:55:36 PM »
On a 68, are the brake line brackets that bolt in the front fenderwells to connect the rubber hose to the steel lines different from drum to disc or are they the same on both applications? Does drum and disc brackets mount in the same location? I am changing from drum to disc.  Mine went MIA during disassembly.  Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:59:00 PM by DWhitaker »

Offline ruppstang

Re: front brake line brackets??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »
They are different. Don't sweat losing the original one if you are changing to disc brakes. The bracket is part of the disc flex line. It mounts in a different location. The hard lines are different too. If you need I may have a picture some where if not my friend Jeff will. Good luck Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:56:41 AM »
On a 68, are the brake line brackets that bolt in the front fenderwells to connect the rubber hose to the steel lines different from drum to disc or are they the same on both applications? ................

Back to the first rule of the site ;)

When and where was your car assembled?

It often makes a difference in the answer - and it might (looking at my pictures) make a big difference in this response

Will post some pictures after we find out when and where
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DWhitaker

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:03:22 PM »
The car is an early Dearborn build. Don't have the exact date right now but VIN is 168xxx. I am helping a friend with this and the whole kink may be, that he has 67 spindles and 4 piston calipers and hoses to go on it. It might be better to scrap that idea and put correct 68 stuff on it. I'm sure the spindles, hoses and all are different since they have single piston calipers, right? Sorry to be so in the dark on this, was just trying to use the parts he brought me. BTW, there are no mounting brackets on the 67 style hoses I have. Thanks guys, I've done 67's and did not realize there were so many changes on a 68. All help appreciated.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:57:35 PM »
The car is an early Dearborn build. Don't have the exact date right now but VIN is 168xxx.

That would make it a much later car - about mid March it seems

I am helping a friend with this and the whole kink may be, that he has 67 spindles and 4 piston calipers and hoses to go on it..................

We'll that doesn't help but we can at least provide what it likely came with - the rest is up to you

And thanks for the when and where. Was seeing a pattern in San Jose but looks like the same thing was happening at Dearborn - just don't have as many examples (pictures) from those - especially this spot which is not easy to get pictures of. Especially when your not taking the pictures specifically of the item

Looking at the pictures it appears that Ford continued to use the 67-early 68 style of front brake lines and brakes (mounting bracket separate from the flex hose) through allot of the year before changing to the 68-69 version of the intergrated bracket and hose that Marty was discribing

Found the following example of the early version. Also found on 68 Dearborn cars - #124520, #151424, #158297

8F01C109872

Found the later version on this car and other examples with higher VIN's - Hope this helps

8F02R2087xx

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:58:15 AM »
For 1967 the brake line brackets Are different between drum and disc. The Size and shape of the bracket is the same, but the hole that the line runs through is different. The drum bracket has a hexagonal shaped hole and the disc bracket has a rounder hole with serrated-sprocket shaped edges. Just wanted to add that since the pictures didn't show it.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »
Here is a 11-4-66 SJ build with disc. Marty

Offline DWhitaker

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 01:37:48 PM »
Thanks guys for all the pics and info. I think my friend is of the same opinion as I, and that is to shelve the 67 stuff and get all the correct 68 stuff. I believe it would be much better to keep it all 68. I may have other questions as I go along and I certainly appreciate all of your help and advice. I hope to be able to return the favor to anyone on here, on any subject I am more knowledgable about.

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »
Marty, that looks correct compared to what I mentioned. The bracket you pictured coincides with the shop manual. I do remember two versions of the smaller bracket like I mentioned. Was it early drum cars with serrated hole and later drum cars with hexagonal? Now I am forgetting what applications those two smaller brackets were for.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs