Author Topic: dumb firewall pad questions - 68  (Read 1674 times)

Offline DWhitaker

dumb firewall pad questions - 68
« on: May 11, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »
On a 68 firewall pad, the Osborn assembly manual shows to use only 2 of the push plugs for fastening. The pad came with 7 of these, but the holes are not in the firewall to accomodate this many. Should I drill holes in firewall where the prepunched holes in the pad are? Also, does the windshield washer pump bolt to the floor before pad installation or on top of the pad? Sorry for the dumb questions. I couldn't find anything doing a search. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:00:02 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline Sunlitgold68

Re: dumb firewall pad questions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »
I believe it is 6 rubber plugs for 68. The reproduction pads are nothing like the originals and from what I recall, do not look or fit correctly. The pump is installed after the pad is secured.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:16:38 AM »
I would not drill any extra holes.  + 1 on the pump on the pad.
Marty

Offline DWhitaker

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 11:00:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Sunlit, you are correct that it looks nothing like and does not fit like the original, but this is a driver and not a concours build and this is what the customer ordered. I saw 2 different ones in NPD catalog that look much nicer, but more expensive. They were molded to fit the firewall and made from a more correct material. Thanks again for both your replies.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 01:26:30 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Sunlit, you are correct that it looks nothing like and does not fit like the original, but this is a driver and not a concours build and this is what the customer ordered. I saw 2 different ones in NPD catalog that look much nicer, but more expensive. They were molded to fit the firewall and made from a more correct material. Thanks again for both your replies.
I don't think you would be much more impressed with those ether ;) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 07:29:56 PM »
I've also heard the "better" firewall pad is not that good. There is nothing like original parts even for a driver.

8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:55:30 PM »
Originals use 2 rubber plugs plus 1 screw although sometimes I find the screw never installed
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America