Author Topic: 67 289 2v sport sprint heat riser  (Read 1224 times)

Offline docreed2003

67 289 2v sport sprint heat riser
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:21:42 PM »
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased a 67 289 2v sports sprint.  The car is in excellent condition with most of its original parts intact.  The PO had removed the sports sprint air cover but he kept it and I have it to clean up and reinstall.  My question is does the snorkle attach to the heat riser in the standard fashion? If so, does anyone have pictures of this?  Thanks so much for your help

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 289 2v sport sprint heat riser
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 02:39:47 AM »
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased a 67 289 2v sports sprint.  The car is in excellent condition with most of its original parts intact.  The PO had removed the sports sprint air cover but he kept it and I have it to clean up and reinstall.  My question is does the snorkle attach to the heat riser in the standard fashion?.......

Yes can't see a reason for them to be different ;)
Hope this help

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline docreed2003

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:51:30 AM »
Thanks Jeff!! Much appreciated.  I'm sure I'll have a thousand more questions.  I was very excited to find this car. Essentially all original and garage kept by one owner the majority of its life.  She still has alot of the original touches like the service sticker in the engine bay.  The car was built July 18, 1967 in NJ and, as I saw discussed in another thread, the "cock-eyed" line worker was still working there in July because the sticker is crooked like your examples.  As I jump into this restoration, are there any special items like that I should document? Also, should the little things like service sticker be preserved or replicated in the restoration?

Thanks!

-Brian

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 07:45:27 PM »
....................  As I jump into this restoration, are there any special items like that I should document?

In short EVERYTHING. If you don't (you'll never document everything no matter how hard you try) you'll always need something that you did document in the future. Always happens but not a reason not to try. Remember/consider digital camera film is pretty cheap ;) so nothing to hold you back from taking as many pictures from every angle of where your starting from

Also, should the little things like service sticker be preserved or replicated in the restoration?

If your restoring - preserving does not fit the look of the final product. You have to make a choice - will you maintain its current condition, improve it or totally restore the car. These choice will guide everything that follows and changing your mind later is not really a good option IMHO. Take your time, document what you have now (even get a second or third opinion) and make an educated choice.

Good luck - the things you do now will limit or expand your choices in the future with this particular car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline docreed2003

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 08:08:33 PM »
Thanks for the sage advice Jeff!  I've already started taking tons of pics, you point about restoration vs preservation is a good one.  I took alot of time to find a Mustang that had been unmolested in its lifetime and yet still in good running order with very minimal rust.  Sometimes I think I'm alittle too nostalgic for my own good, but I really like the connection between myself and whatever anonymous line worker might have placed the factory stickers back in 67 in NJ.  While I want the car to be cleaned up, there's a part of me that would really like to preserve as much of that originality as possible.  Do you think that's even feasible or am I being unrealistic? Thanks again!

-Brian